mossberg 500 or Remington 870

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by glockkid03, Feb 29, 2012.

1. glockkid03

glockkid03 New Member

So I was looking at both of these guns and they are the most common, I would be useing it for home defense and clay shooting. What do you guys think would be my best option or what's your take on the two??

2. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

This could go on for ever man. I have a 870. When I got it the friend I took with me said they were alittle better built. Not sure if it's true but thats what he said and he knows more then I do. Most of the attachments I've seen fit both. I replaced my stock with one that has springs in it to help with the recoil. Not to sound like a panzy but I could only get 8 or 9 off and my shoulder was killin me. Now it's like a 20 gage.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Mossberg

Some aspects of the feel of the 870 is nicer but that's it: 500.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The 870. No question.
    cottontop

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

6. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I see the 500 as more a self defense gun.. I have an 870 and love the thing.. Never had problems and it will take any crap rds you throw at it... But the 28"barrel model and then order a 18" on offline and u got 2 guns in 1!!!

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I tried to make a decision and couldn't, so I did the right thing and got both! ;)

Mossberg 500: (also has a 26" barrel with multiple chokes)

[​IMG]

Remington 870:

[​IMG]

The Remington holds 1 more shot than the Mossberg does, but they both shoot great. I like the location of the safety on the Mossberg, but that's because the 20 ga. pump I grew up with was a Mossberg too. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I will say that the Remingtons are easier to obtain parts for and to customize than the Mossbergs are.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

My .02 keep your hd gun separate from your shooting gun. I'm now abandoning my 4 in 1 870 as in (turkey, deer, water fowl, hd) and leaving it at turkey and deer. And buying a second shotgun down the road for water fowl. And ditching the hd shotgun. Eventually a hands gun for hd. But I just can't come up with a way to keep the rail clear. For water fowl then be awesome all the way around in a way that would benefit me. I'm not saying it can't bee done but a 2nd shotgun for me would be the cheapest way to go.

9. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I like the safety better on the Mossberg and the action of the 870. It's another Ford vs Chevy thing. Handle them both and make a choice. They both rock.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

I would definatly choose a 870 over q mossturd anyday but I'm not a big fan of either one I would look into the benelli novas, the older winchester 1200 and 1300s, and the new winchester super x pumps all of these are better guns than the 870s or the 500s

11. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I gota agree with the mossberg safty thing. I'm left handed and the mossbergs have a ambi safty. The one on my 870 is a pain in the butt.

12. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Mossberg's have never let me down but I've never owned or shot an 870.

Attached Files:

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I own both. The 870 fits me better, but I can shoot both equally. I am left handed, and used to have trouble with the 870 safety, until I had my gunsmith reverse it. $60 later, I had a right handed 870 with a left handed safety. Also Remington make an LH 870, It just costs more, above the cost of the RH model, than converting the safety. The palm swell on the mossberg is my only gripe. I have a new stock on order. It sucks being left handed and short!:rolleyes:

Get either one. They will both last a long time if you take care of them.
    IN my case;870-13 years and counting
    500 20 years and counting. See which one fits you best and go from there.

14. glockkid03

glockkid03 New Member

Thank you guys all for your input and advice! I have been using my friends mossberg for the last few weeks and its done awesome also have 2 other buddy's who I shot there's and they worker great also! I diffently like the safety on the mossberg and the way its sit up for shooting a lil better... I seen all the things you can do to then and I seen that alot of the Remington accessories fit the mossberg so it shouldn't be to bad. I would probably just get a pistol grip and heat shield anyways, BUT i ended up getting the mossberg 500 from bi-mart today it was 299 with a discount that ended tonight where I got an additional 40 off so got it for 259 at the end of the day. Black synthetic with and extra barrel, came with the 20" and the 18.5 one seems like I got a good deal. A buddy of mine told me about the deal and we both went and picked them up! Again thanks for all the info it really helped! And maybe down the road ill get the 870 also!

15. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

that is false. there is nothing that's the same. a lot of aftermarket companies make parts for both guns. but the frames and actions are too different.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My MB is at least 15 YO. My 870 is 7 YO. The 870's action is smoother and the 500 occasionally drops a loaded cartridge out the bottom.

17. glockkid03

glockkid03 New Member

Thanks bucket head!

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Personally, I perfer the 870, but you can't really go wrong with either one.

19. littlejimmy

littlejimmy New Member

Main thing to look at is which slide release and safety is more comfortable for you personally. I prefer the 500.

20. glockkid03

glockkid03 New Member

That's what I went with jimmy because of that