Mossberg 500 magazine tube

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by TooStrongTerry, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

Just bought a 500 and I can only fit 2 shells in the mag. I guess there's a plug in it...I can't get the tube off to save my life! Help!!

@TooStrongTerry

2. cplwolf

cplwolf New Member

on the 500, and 500A there is a wooden dowel in the magazine that they use as a plug, you should be able to screw the magazine off of the reciever without too much problem, if it's stuck, spray some penetrating fluid, like zep 45 or wd40 on the area where the magazine and reciever meet.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

On my 500, you don't have to remove the mag tube from the receiver, only the cap from the end of the mag tube. I have used a pencil as a "plug" when i used one.

By "cap", i mean whatever part #19 is called; it stays attached to the barrel when you remove the barrel from the shotgun. http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/70148.jpg

Of course, my 500 is old, bought used in 1995 (while on the way to dove hunt).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

orangello is correct. many people use a small piece of wood. remove the barrel hold upside down and shake

5. TooStrongTerry

No ^^^ this is what I mean. There's a wooden plug inside. I have to remove it. Wolf I've tried everything...its not budging. Might have to take it to a gunsmith

@TooStrongTerry

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Nah. Get the dowel loose if it is stuck. it is supposed to be in the middle of the spring. With the barrel removed hold it butt up. U should see it there in the barrel stud screw hole. Shake it a little back and forth in this position. No luck with it falling out but see it? Get a sharp pin and move it thru the hole till it is centered and falls out. STILL no luck!?

Liberally spray the mag tube at the receiver with WD-40 and let it rest overnight tube UP. Next day, put one of those fan belt wrenches/bottle openers on the tube near the receiver (do not put the wrench on an oily tube) and slowly turn the tube out. Be careful of loaded mag spring! Remove dowel. Replace spring, follower and mag tube.

Go to range. Load five, yes FIVE, American made 3" magnum shells in the tube and fire them out. Relish the last two as they are two more than the standard Remington 870 will take no less cycle reliably these days!

7. TooStrongTerry

Heeyyyy!!! It worked. Thanksss!!!

@TooStrongTerry

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

LOL You're very welcome. Hey -- where's my "thumb's up"!? ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I can fit 5 shells in my 870 without the plug. But I don't need that many ever.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Hmmm... You mean 4+1 2-3/4". How many 3" can you get in the tube magazine alone? Think you're down to 3+1 vs. the Mossberg's 5+1.

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I can get 5 of the 2 3/4 shells in my magazine tube as well. I think it only holds 4 of the 3 inch though.

12. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

5+1 Really Ric? In a regular model 870 magazine tube!? I'm thinkin' not. People seem to struggle to get a 4th 3" shell in the tube and that's supposed to fit. LOL

13. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

I would have to pull the plug and check, I could be wrong. My plug is set for 3" I can't have more than one shot in my gun at the range I go to. So I never had the plug out except after I cleaned it. When I first got it a few years ago. Either I had my whole box of slugs in their or that box was never full. I know I didn't have to struggle with my last shell though. And let me know about 2 3/4

14. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I personally think when they sell you a 500 they should mention the dowel, they did not mention it to me and the last 500 I bought never had one... so it was a bit of confusion when I got mine

15. TooStrongTerry

I thought I bought a broken gun :p

@TooStrongTerry

16. BCMjUnKiE

BCMjUnKiE New Member

I remember being in a local gun shop and a brother with his underwear half out. Told the owner " It only holds 2 rounds, this thing don't work".
    The owner said "Did you read the manual first".
    The brother said No.
    The owner snatched the pistol grip mossberg from him and said, "then you don't deserve to own a gun".
    I laughed my a** off.

17. TooStrongTerry

Hahahahaha

@TooStrongTerry

18. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

That's scarry. I never read one... But when I did read it, it told me nothing I didn't know already. my 870 never had a plug. But I had to cut mine.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

My 500 came with the plug installed. I remember hearing it

rattling about, but it was easy to remove.