Mossberg 500 JIC 2: yes or no

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Zeapher, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Zeapher

Zeapher New Member

Hey guys I have a question for you. I'm thinking about getting a Mossberg JIC 2 for home protection. This will be my first shotgun. Now the reason i'm looking at the jic 2 is because of my fiancee. I work third shift so she's home alone most nights until I get off. So any thoughts on this will be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

First off Zeapher, welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, drop by the introductions sub forum and let us know about yourself. Now to answer your questions ( or atleast try.:)).

I myself would not go for a JIC II. The Mossberg 500 is an excallent choice for home defense but, a pistol grip shotgun can be a real pain in the wrists. They are hard to aim and uncomfortable to shoot, even for most large build men. I would look into some of the other HD shotguns that Mossberg offers, mainly the ones with a butt stock instead of a pistol grip. Those with a stock will be far more comfortable for you and your better while you are shooting them. My own recomendation, check out the HS410. It will fit her better, it will work for you as well, and any of the defense loads in 410 that work in the judge pistol will work in it. If it has to be a 12 gauge, check into the 500s with the full stock and the 18 in barrel. Either way you go start with light trap loads, then practice with your intended defense loads. this will help you get used to the weapon, how it operates, and how it shoots. Get trainig if possible and stay safe and enjoy. Hope this helps.
    Kev.

3. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

A simple, standard, Mossberg 20 ga. shotgun with a relativley short barrel (and changeable length stock) would be a better choice. These are my recommendations -- pretty much ideal for all purposes incluing personal protection. I think even YOU might appreciate the shorter stock indoors...

Welcome, have fun, shoot safe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

+1 to the above. For your stated purposes, I would personally look at a conventionally stocked short barrelled 20 gauge, and I don't think you need extended magazines or anything else hanging on the gun and adding weight, but that's just me. I just use my duck gun to back up my 357.

5. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

If you're wanting to have the pistol grip, get the persuader over the JIC. The persuader comes with the pistol grip in the box but is displayed with a stock. Then you really would have two shotguns instead of just one. And the persuader is cheaper for some reason. At least where I work it is

6. mikem1959

mikem1959 New Member

got one

I bought ajic2 last week at gander mountain for $299 with a $50 rebate =$250 I also orderd a folding stock off amoazon for $60.I have'nt shot it yet but I think the stock will be a must.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  7. mikem1959

mikem1959 New Member

sorry the pics are so big i dont really know how to adjust size

8. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

For a first shotgun, pistol grip is a bad idea. A 20 will do just fine taking a bad guy out. the mossberg 590 12 ga. would be the direction I would point you. Imo there is no need for a tube extension and such isn't needed. The 590 is the same frame as the 500 from my understanding. One of the most customizable pump shotguns next to the equally customizable remington 870. Look at some of those too.

9. Underdog

Underdog Member

Both my mossberg's came from the factoty in the JIC format, a 12 and a 20. The pistol grips lasted all of 5 minutes when I got them home and switched them out to shortened traditional stocks. They both have 13" LOP and Limbsaver recoil pads installed. I went with the JIC when new because it was easier to find than any other Mossberg, also the price was right for me. I would highly recommend you replace the pistol grip, YMMV but the pistol grip will do damage to your wrist.

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I prefer what I got -- a Mossberg 590A1 for home defense. (no pistol grip for me).

11. Zeapher

Zeapher New Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into that tonight at work the second I get a chance.

12. Foodaddy11

Foodaddy11 New Member

The persuader also has a 20 barrel and full length magazine which gives you an extra round over the jic.

13. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

I have a Mossberg 500 and it came with a 28 inch vented ribbed barrel. I just purchased a 18.5 inch barrel for 80 dollars. Gun was 280 I believe. Wood stock. And I absolutely love it. Its my working gun. I use it for everything. So happy the wood is as good looking as it is. I smile every time I take it out of the case. I def recommended a good ole basic 12 or 20 ga pump. Full stock = more uses

@TooStrongTerry

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree the JIC with the pistol grip is a bad idea. lots of recoil having to be absorbed by the wrist. i have shot a few myself and the benefit of having the shorter length just wasn't worth the added recoil felt in the wrist. step up to OO buckshot or slugs and it just gets worse. the Mossberg 500 or 590 with the 18.5" barrel in 12 or 20ga would work much better. or even a Remington M870 with a 18.5" barrel. i have the Winchester SXP Defender with a 18.5" barrel in 12ga, loaded with #4 birdshot and my wife has no problems with the recoil at all. she even prefers shooting it over any of the shotguns i own. and #4 birdshot at 30 feet or less will end a BG's day quick!

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I beleive the longer magazine on the 500's hold 7 (or is it 8?) rounds so it's at least two more than the standard 5 round tube on the 500. The 590 is definitely 8+1. The standard 870 is 4+1.

Terry -- you're not STORING that nice 500 in a soft case I hope.

Reminder the 590A1 is not light.

16. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

No I keep it in my cabinet in my bedroom ready to go.

@TooStrongTerry

17. mikem1959

mikem1959 New Member

slugs?

I never thought of shooting slugs through my jic2,what could i shoot,slugs,sabots

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

some people like slugs for a defensive round and it works great as one as that's a massive hunk of lead hitting something and will do major damage to a BG's day! but the downside is, slugs generally have more felt recoil than shot type shells. sabots are designed for either slug barrels with rifle type sights or rifled barrels with sights for hunting purposes. they are designed to increase the effective range of a shotgun when hunting game animals. so IMO sabots wouldn't be practical for a shotgun used for SD/HD applications.

myself, i use as stated before, #4 birdshot. how do i know it works? testing. i test it at 30 feet against different materials, 3/8" plywood, 1/2" drywall, car door, ect. ect... and have found that at this distance, it has plenty of power and penetration to do the job i expect it to do. some may scoff at my choice, but i have done my own testing and found the results speak for themselves. some will say you need to use some sort of buckshot for SD/HD loads, but after my informal testing, i have found for the distances that would be used, it just isn't needed for me. these are my conclusions based on my situation and uses, and what works for me might not work for others. i will always suggest that people need to test loads for usage rather than just relying on hearsay or blind recommendations from other people. i know what OO buckshot will do at 30 feet, and after my informal testing a couple of years ago with #4 birdshot, i know that it will do the job if needed at 30 feet or less.