Mossberg 500 .410

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Shotgun Shooter, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Well yes I'm knowledge on shotguns, but its just I need some help on this type of shotgun I have not used before. So, please bare with me. :)

I'm looking for a .410 to mess with, shoot some 000 buckshot and have a shotgun my girlfriend can shoot comfortably. So, I was thinking possibly getting the Mossberg 505 [youth model] because her, and mine too, arms aren't that long. My full size maverick 88 is comfortable for me, but its really long. Anyway. I wanted opinions on the M500 .410/M505 youth .410.

Thanks for any help. It's appreciated. :)

S.S.

2. Shotgun Shooter

Saw some people checked out the thread, no opinions?

Hmm. I'll wait a little longer, I suppose.

S.S.

3. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Hi SS. Take yourself and the girlfriend out to the local gun store and have her pick up and shoulder the models you mentioned. Buy the one she feels most comfortable with, and yourself.. Fit and feel, (body-wise), is important to good shooting. I know you were asking about recommendations on a particular model, but the best way I feel to get something for her would be for her to pick some guns up and "feel" them.

4. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

no opinions on the .410, however i do have a 500 in 12 ga. what ?'s do you have. if your worried about quality or reliability i will give it a 100% score as mine has never given any problems

5. Shotgun Shooter

Thanks, Sgt.
    I want a fun gun my girlfriend and I can both shoot and enjoy. She's excited to shoot my .22 and I'm sure the kick of a .410 isnt much harder than a .22.

I have the Maverick 88 in 12 gauge, which is just like a M500.
    So I wanted to see if people actually had the .410 and what they had shot through it!

JW, but has your M500 ever ejected the spent shell AND the next shell all in one stroke?

S.S.

6. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i think shell have fun with it. if you can shoot .410's from a handgun it being in a heavier package should be very similar to a .22

7. rugermike

rugermike New Member

I agree and would also like to suggest a 20ga version over the 410. Better patterns, shells are cheaper and more available, and they don't have anymore recoil if the gun fits her right and has a good pad on it. Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 youth models will both work for what you are asking about. Good luck.

8. Shotgun Shooter

Well I have a 20ga that kicks harder than my 12ga. I want a .410 a fun gun and to let anyone who wants to try shooting.

Thanks for the responses.

S.S.

9. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

i have a mossberg 835 12ga and i can also attest to their quality. you wont go wrong with a mossberg.

10. Shotgun Shooter

Thanks Rooster! :)
    I like my Maverick 88, but i havent shot it a whole lot to know if mossberg is a reliable company or not.

So thanks for the responses!

S.S.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, I collect older Mossberg rifles- their motto has always been "More gun for your money". They do not have the collector's following of Winchester, but made good, workmanlike guns. The .410 can be fun to play with, ammo is EXPENSIVE, and you REALLY have to be a good shot to hit a moving target with one. The Mossberg .410 is a decent little shotgun. You WILL have more recoil than a .22 rifle. With a 20 g, you can also use low brass lighter loaded shells, with much less recoil. PS- 12 yr old granddaughter shoots my Remington 1100- in .410.

12. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

also, i use my 835 for duck and goose hunting. there's not much out there that is rougher on a gun than waterfowl hunting and my 835 has never let me down. so that says a lot right there.

13. Shotgun Shooter

I know the ammo is expensive and you need a better shot, but thats what makes it fun. Not the expensive part, but I wont be shooting it everytime I go out.

I figured the .410 would have more recoil than a .22, just a 20ga might be a little too much recoil even with a lower brass.

Yeah, I understand.

Thanks for the replies!

S.S.

14. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

but its probly a single shot too huh, them things kick like a mini mule on roids:D

15. Shotgun Shooter

Yup.
    I dont mind it by any means.
    My 20 year old cousin felt it pretty good the 1st shot
    Took me 3 shots to start feeling it. Heh.

S.S.

16. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

i had a buddy that had one in 20ga. i thought id be a bad a$$ and shoot it one handed like my mossy in 12ga, my god it wrenched my wrist so bad i didnt shoot a gun for a good 2 weeks with my left hand. that was the first single shot ive ever fired

17. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Hi SS. That "little" .410 is going to kick some...We have the SXS in .410 and the recoil surprised me...Have you shot a .410 single/double??? If not, buy a box of shells and stop at the house.. You'll be surprised.

18. Quis custodiet

Quis custodiet New Member

You cannot go wrong with a Mossberg .410 shotgun. They are as reliable as any gun on the market. The .410 ammo is more expensive than the cheap-o 20 gauge shells at WalMart, but recoil is much less.

Your idea sound perfect. I would go for it.

Q.C.

19. Shotgun Shooter

Yeah .22 I shot my cousins .410 pardner. :)

S.S.

20. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Cool.......