Mossberg 500 2 ga used for $250- good deal?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Marni, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Marni

Marni New Member

Hi all-seeking opinions and advice in general about purchase of used shotguns. I have the chance to purchase a Mossberg 500, 20 gauge, about 20 years old but looks perfect. Wood stock 24" barrel, being sold by retired LEO so I feel I can trust it was well cared for. Do you all feel comfortable with purchase of used long guns, and does $250 sound reasonable? Is also including 26" VR barrel. Anything I should look for to be a red flag as far as the fore end, trigger mechanism, etc that would indicate I should avoid? Looking for home defense. Thanks-sarcasm and all insults on the 20 ga part welcome. I am a smallish female and am also considering bantam or youth model but not sure if this deal is 'too good to pass up'.

2. Marni

Marni New Member

Duh sorry for typo in subject box- should be 20 gauge.

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

the price is pretty good,especially with wood stocks and 2 barrels,and nothing wrong with a 20 gauge,I doubt anyone will knock you on that,but for home defense,a 24" barrel just sounds too long to me,usually an 18" is what you want for home defense.

4. Marni

Marni New Member

Thanks, Ninja. I agree on the barrel length. Is there any reason to think an 18" barrel purchased new today, would have any problems in a 20-year old model?

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I am not very familiar with the Mossberg's,but I do believe that a new barrel should fit on an older Mossberg,if i'm not mistaken,even some of the Remington and other brand barrels will fit the Mossberg also.Usually the 18" barrels are also unchoked,so you will get a fast all over spread on the bb's for easy home defense,as where those 24-26" barrels are probably choked for tighter hunting patterns.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  6. user4

user4 New Member

You can buy a 12 ga for $200 around here...

7. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Marni, you would think so, but I have seen LEO owned weapons that have been carried for years and hardly ever cleaned. I recently worked on a gen 1 Glock 19 that had been carried every day in a duty rig for many, many years. It had never been detail stripped and totally cleaned. I do not know how it was still functioning, the firing pin channel was so full of gunk that you wouldn't believe it. It's not the only one I have seen like it either. Shotguns, are usually either in a rack in the front, barrel up, collecting dust down the barrel, or in a case in the trunk, bouncing aroung and collecting dirt and dust. How ever, they usually are only fired for qualifications, so it won't be shot out. That is unless you try using it for duck hunting :rolleyes:.

By the way, I have a nice Mallard Drake hanging on the wall that I got with my Ithaca.