Mossberg 190

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Hatchet8, May 14, 2013.

1. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

I just picked up a Mossberg model 190 for a good price. It's just like the gun my Dad used to let me shoot as a kid before he passed on, a 16 ga. bolt action. Since it was made from 1955-57, what's a good load to shoot through just for practice, don't want to tear it up & don't want to tear my head off either.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With the exception of steel shot, it should be fine with any off the shelf 16 g load. 16 g was not always 2.75 inches- early ones were 2 9/16ths- but the shells changed in 1927- you should be fine.

3. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Thanks, it's been a long time since I've shot one of them, didn't know how dangerous or more powerful loads were today!

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The pressure specifications for loads has not changed in the intervening years since the 1950s.

5. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Much appreciated! I would rather be aware the dead! Thanks guys! I love these old shotguns.

6. c3shooter

Since I have a minor addiction to Mossberg 22s (I can stop any time, you know...) and have a few of the Mossy shotguns, this is a site I like-

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

Scroll down, look for the green shotshells. Your gun is in there.

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I know all about that addiction, I suffer from the same one. Hard to quit though, every time I want to another old Mossberg seems to find it's way to my door. And then into my safe! :D

That is one of my favorite sites C3, I have learned quite a bit about my old bolt guns, and my 200K there. great site.

hachet, enjoy your new to you 190. One question, is it a K,T, or D variant? Just curious is all. I still have my grandfather's old 185-ka that is now being shared between generation 3 and 4 in my family. I love those old bolt shotguns, and it is an honor for me to still be feeding my family with the same shotgun that was keeping the family fed over 60 years ago. Enjoy re-living your old memories of time with your father, and making some new ones with your new old shotgun.

8. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Ya know I wish I could tell you, it only says model 190 on the barrel, I don't see any suffix. However I did find an extractor that was broken on it, the dealer didn't tell me about. Sorry it took so long, this forum seems to be getting harder & harder to navigate.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hatchet, check out Numrich Gun Parts. they carry lots of old and obsolete gun parts and have lots of schematics too.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Mossberg-33399/Shotguns-37443/190-41867.htm

i have an older Mossberg 385T 20 ga. that i bought earlier this year in pretty good shape. love those old bolt action shotguns!

10. Hatchet8

Hatchet8 New Member

Thanks. They seem to be sold out every time I look. I love those old bolties too. Havlin has alot of old Mossberg stuff too should you ever need it. That have both my right & left extractors in stock. Thanks again friend!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you're welcome. yes they sometimes are out of things i want or need too, but you can never tell when they might have it.

i still like the old bolt action shotguns too! most of them i happen to have run across over the last several years have been in very poor and rough shape.

12. c3shooter

For anything Mossberg, contact Vic or Cheryl Havlin at havlinsales.com Vic used to work for Mossberg. The two of them run the Mossberg Collectors Assoc, and are really nice folks to deal with.

13. coopertrooper

coopertrooper New Member

Try some Winchester AA light target loads.

14. CorporalBigsocks

CorporalBigsocks New Member

I know I'm a couple months late to this party, but I was looking for info on the Mossberg 190 as a family friend has one that is languishing in obscurity in his basement that I'm considering making him an offer for. One of you (I don't remember who, to be honest) mentioned that anything but steel shot would be fine to put through it. My question is, why the restriction on steel shot? Unfortunately, that's all my local range will allow out of scatgerguns. I have no problem using other types of shot for game or clays, but it's going to need some work and tuning up (therefore some range time) before I can get it to that point. Any advice you have, I'm happy to take. Thanks much in advance!

15. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

To answer the steel shot question, steel does not compress going through the choke like lead does, and thus will wear out the barrel if enough rounds are put through it. Chokes rated for steel have a different hardness than those designed for lead do. Go to this site for more information on the 190 and other Mossberg long guns.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/

If the 190 in your friend's basement is in solid shape, not rusted out with a good bore and furniture, it should be worth $80 to $100 depending on how good it looks. If it needs work, you may be able to pick it up for around $50, and put some work into it yourself. They clean up quite nicely, and they make a good reliable field gun. Hope this helps.