mossberg 12 guage

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Birchhatchery, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i have a older 500 12 guage mossberg pump i have 2 barrels one barrel is a 2 3/4 26 inch Imp cylinder skeet, other is a 30 inch full choke both smooth barrels in the inside my question is can i shoot buckshot and slugs threw either of these barrels and if so wich barrel would be better for buckshot and slugs?

2. tCan

tCan Active Member

Both should work with both barrels, but I would use the 26" for slugs. The tight choke on the 30" is gonna squeeze your slugs a bit. The full choke 30" should give you a tighter spread with the buckshot. You can try some different brands of both the slugs and the buckshot to see what patterns most to your liking.

Are your barrels fixed choke?

This article for your consideration: http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011

3. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i dont no how do i tell?

4. ahole

ahole New Member

What size chocks are you using? Some slugs dont react to go to some chock sizes.

5. natman

natman Member

Hope this clears things up.

To address the OPs question, the 26" IC barrel would probably be better for slugs. I'd be inclined to go with it for buckshot as well.

6. ahole

ahole New Member

God im a retard some times. Sure i can read selectively.

7. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i was told by others to u use the 26 barrel for slugs but birds shot and buckshot would go threw fine and the 30 inch full choke for birdshot and buckshot cuz it would make em travel farther and have a tighter hit

8. havasu

havasu Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 26" bbl is probably set up for a great skeet gun, which allows a quick expansion of the birdshot to hit the crossing clay pigeons. The 30" bbl is the barrel you would use for trap shooting, where the clay pigeons are going away from you. The shot will remain tighter so you can take down the target at a farther distance. As said before, check out the choke to determine if there would be a problem shooting slugs from the barrels.

9. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

so wich barrel would be better for buckshot in a home defense situation also how many feet is buckshot an affective kill with 12 guage

10. havasu

You would want the shortest barrel possible to scatter the buckshot as quick as possible. This would give it a lethal range of 30 feet or more with the 26" barrel.

11. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

how far would the lethal range be with my full choke 30 inch barrel

12. natman

natman Member

How quickly the shot disperses is almost entirely a function of the choke, not the barrel length. The OP's shorter barrel has a more open choke, so it will disperse the shot faster because of the choke, not the length. Not that it will make a lot of difference at home defense distances.

The biggest advantage of the shorter barrel for HD is that it's shorter. 26" is longer than ideal for HD; 30" would just be too much to move around inside.

13. havasu

You are correct. As far as I know, the 26" barrels are primarily set with no choke, making the shot disperse wider. The longer barrels are usually set up with a modified choke and as you said, swinging another 4" is just a tad cumbersome for my liking.

14. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

yes the longer barrel makes it odder to carry inside but im on the farm and in a shtf scenrio i may have to use it outside also so if the 30 inch gives me a few more feet of lethal range id take

15. havasu

Without knowing the choke on the 30" barrel, your best bet is to take the gun to a range and test different distances where most of the shot is confined within the size of an average person's torso.

16. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

For dove, quail, pheasant, turkey, etc. 40 yards more or less depending on shot size.

For buckshot on deer ~50 yards.

On the imp. cylinder 30 yards is the generally accepted cutoff point.

17. BB98338

BB98338 New Member

I was out at the range and shot my Mossberg 500 with 18-1/2" barrel at 25 yards. The buckshot spread out more than 24" at that distance. Beyond that I am not sure what I was shooting at would actually get hit with any pellets.

18. natman

natman Member

Your 18.5" barrel undoubtedly has a cylinder choke. It's designed for HD distances, which would realistically be less than a third of the distance tested. Inside your house 25 feet is a very long shot.

If you really need to engage targets past 25 yards get a rifle.

19. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

The overall length of the barrel has little to do with the pattern. Longer barrels are better suited for dove/quail/duck/skeet because of the swing. Shorter barrels are better for turkey/HD to minimize movement in the field and to negotiate hallways easier.

Pattern is controlled by the choke. The OP stated he has a 26" barrel with a fixed skeet/IC choke, and a 30" barrel with full choke. Neither of these are good for HD. The Mossberg 500 12 gauge is an ideal platform for HD, you just need the right barrel. I would get an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel and call it a day.

Mossberg (90015) 500 18.5" 12 Ga. Barrel

If you don't want to spend the money on another barrel. I would have the 26" fixed skeet/IC cut down. The legal limit is 18"... Mossberg goes 18.5" just to be safe. Another option is to have it cut to 22" and threaded for screw-in chokes. Then you have choices.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  20. oli700

oli700 New Member

Here is another school of thought. You don’t want a ton of spread in HD situations. In short reason being is control of every last pellet. Meaning the more flyers the less pellets on target and the more pellets penetrating walls and possibly hitting loved ones or neighbors, bystanders. Also the choke is not the only thing that controls pattern of your shot. As far as the barrel it’s a combination of forcing cone, actual bore size and choke as a team… Then there is the shell its self. Hardness of the pellet, wad construction and velocity all are big players in the final pattern size, especially the wad. Look up testing on Federal FlightControl 00 buck. A shotgun needs to be aimed like any other weapon and just isn’t an instant kill when you point it down the hall.