Mosins: Darn these things are addicting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by chloeshooter, Nov 15, 2013.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Someone told be these things can get addicting. Just bought a 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 to go along with my 1940 Tula. Both rifles have all serial numbers matching, Tula is a decent open sight shooter looking forward to seeing how his big brother shoots if I get time between deer hunts, bird hunts, kid's hockey games, honey-do list.......

Now the search for: hex receiver, carbine.....where will it stop?

image-764122769.jpg

image-488335562.jpg

image-2958067194.jpg

image-3524233007.jpg

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

It never stops... good thing they are cheap

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

O s a r !.................

4. longunner

longunner New Member

Uh oh! I find the more you buy, the easier it is to justify buying another

5. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

They multiply all on their own.... At least that's what I tell my wife.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Quit messing around... Get a PU or a Finnish one. Trust me. ;)

7. longunner

longunner New Member

That's what tax returns are for :D

8. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I have three mosin's and you are correct, they are addictive although I think I am done but I would like to have a Remington made or a Finnish made mosin to round out my mosin collection. My current three are...

1929 Izhevsk Hex 91/30
    1953 Hungarian M-44
    91/59 Carbine

All are numbers matching guns in very good shape to extremely excellent shape. The M-44 is a very accurate shooter and I killed a 165lb doe at well over 200yrds with it using S&B ammo loaded with 174gr Matchkings. Open sights with two witnesses so don't let folks tell you a mosin isn't a good shooter. Some of them are very good shooters.

9. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I am doing a stock refinish on the Izhevsk, bought it for a practice refurb piece. So far so good, just about a spot on match for color, using tung oil to finish as I hate to use a shellac on wood that spent years in cosmoline. Not touching the Tula though, it's damn near perfect as is.

Here's post stain pre oil

image-815221578.jpg

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I refinished the stock on my 91/30 with walnut stain followed by at least 10 coats of tru-oil. Turned out real nice.

11. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

You have pics? Love to see them

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Know where to get one? And what about the Finns are so good? Have heard that before

13. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

I picked up a Russian 91/30 dated 1940. Haven't shot it yet but everything looks great. It's stamped century arms so I'm assuming maybe it was imported by them? I own many guns but I'm new to the Mosins. Anyone here ever feel the need to check the head space before firing? I havent shot mine yet because I was going to pick up some gauges to check the headspace. Is that like a "must do" thing, or is it only if the gun appears to be in poor condition? Mine is all numbers matching and the rifling and all parts look great on it. The barrel appears it may have been 're crowned...not sure though as im no expert in older rifles.

14. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

If you have cleaned the bore and the chamber thoroughly and the bolt locks down tight I'd say go for it

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Gotta shop around or buy one on an auction site. The Finns rebarreled most if the actions that they captured. Their barrels are much better quality, and they were maintained much better. So they usually have the best and most consistent bores. They also fitted the stocks better and used brass shims to help bed the actions into the stocks and the triggers are usually better also. I'm sorry I ever got rid of mine.

16. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I recommend always checking headspace, you never know.

17. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Yeah I've just been slacking because the gauges are $50 and I wanted to put it towards a new holster lol.

18. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Yep,
    may have to buy another one.
    But,
    still haven't got all the cosmoline of the first one.

19. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I guess my question is, if you clean the thing properly, why doubt it will work? These rifles were designed to shoot, be used as a club, dig a ditch, hold up a tent, shoot some more....you get the picture. I have never heard of issues with the Mosins in that regard. I am more worried about metal fatigue/hairline cracks etc. with a 70 year old rifle or if the bolt does not lock down properly. That's just me and I am not a gunsmith

20. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013