Mosin Torture Test

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by texaswoodworker, May 9, 2013.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Proof that the Mosin is unbelievably strong.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfiXFyIbOZw[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bzls73WH7w[/ame]

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah IV8888 and Barry did a good job. The HiPoint torture test was good. But I'm still gonna baby my Mosin.

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Ditto.....

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

At least I won't be as reluctant to

shoot hot loads from it.

5. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have two 91/30's, a 1930 & a 1938, and would never think of mistreating them, both are in excellent condition with all matching numbers.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Yep, I'll keep babying mine too. It just nice to know that it is very unlikely that it will blow up on you. Even with a hot load.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Mine are 70+ years old, have probably fought in a war and were stored in cosmoline for decades. Thats enough testing for me. :)

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've got a 1925 Hex Izzy. All matching serials. Good rifling.

A lot of fun to shoot. Good to know it would take the pounding

it will never get.

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

It still aint no Arisaka..... ;) :p

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Stalingrad and Leningrad seem like proof enough that they are tough rifles.

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

they re are built like tanks I kinda want to see if some of the newer bolt actions can stand up against a mosin with the type of beating they gave it.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Apparently none of you have ever read Hatcher's Notebook.... These results are really no surprise. Military guns were designed with a very large safety margin. I would bet any mil-surp would pass the same tests and probably do better.

This test just tells me that the weak part is the multi-part bolt body. Guns that Headspace on the rim of the cartridge (Like the Mosin) are less susceptible to receiver failure due to the fact that the case is supported all the way to the rim.

The weakness of the "Mauser" type rifles (M98 Mauser, M1903, M1917, most modern sporting rifles) is actually the cartridge case itself. Due to the rimless cartridge there is a small part that isnt supported, and in the case of a over-pressure the case ruptures and all the gases escape into the action of the gun and cause damage. Where as on a rimmed round theres nowhere for the gasses to go except out the barrel (or primer pocket) So the gun shouldnt* blow provided theres no barrel obstuction.
    (Note my *, Im not saying it cant blow up, but it is very unlikely)

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

From Hatcher's Notebook:

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Thank god!! I have very little respect for the arisaka.

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Now the '98 Mauser does support the enter case head. The 1903 does not. With the Mauser action, only a small portion of the rim edge was not enclosed by steel.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Its still been proven to be the strongest bolt action.....

According to both Hatchers' and Ackleys' tests, It was the Type 38 that was the strongest, followed by the Type 99, M1917, Mauser 98, then the M1903.

Hatcher couldnt blow up the Type 38, it took Ackley welding a bolt in the barrel, it just blew the barrel off, the rifle was later rebarreled and functioned just fine....

I still dont understand, despite the facts why the Arisaka is a hated piece of "junk"... :confused: :rolleyes:

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A couple of things made Arisaka rifles a bit frustrating and gave them a bad rep. The safety is not super handy. And many war time production rifles ended up with some bad hardening heat treatments. So they got a reputation for having some examples with bad receivers that could crack or stretch. They were really an exception to the rule, but many folks didn't want to take the gamble.

They are smooth and basically a 98 Mauser clone in many respects. So they are generally a tough design.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Now, I had heard the 6.5mm Carcano had
    a strong action. Something about Czech hardened
    steel, yadda-yadda.
    Undoubtedly it is a POS, barely worthy
    of mention in the same month as a
    Mauser .

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Well apparently the Italians can win NATO matches, with that POS rifle..... :rolleyes:

20. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

They just did an Arisaka torture test. Ran some big loads put of it then shot it with a Garand.