Mosin Question (accuracy)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by unclebear, Feb 20, 2012.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

When I get taxes back I was thinking about getting a M44 I was wondering is it like the 91/30 where having the bayonet extended change the point of aim. I know that when I shoot mine having it on drops the POA by a few inches makes it pretty much dead on. :confused:

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

M44 was designed to be shot WITH the bayonet extended. It folds for transport and storage, otherwise, open it up.

3. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Unless you can fine a very nice m44 with the purpose to collect, (and I have seen some absolutely beautiful Polish 44's), buy a 91/30. The m44 is not as accurate, has a massive muzzle flash, and is quite loud. And, don't bring a bayonet to the range, it scares the straights

4. Werminator

Werminator Member

Even better... Buy 2 91/30s like I did... Then shorten one to the length of the M44 and scare the hell out of the neighbors when the first shot rings out... I removed around 10 inches from the barrel of mine (still way over legal minimum length... think Jeff Cooper) and the sound signature and flash are incredible...

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The M44 has the bayonet attached!!! It folds out. I gave a Hungarian M44 to my oldest son, it was very accurate. When I did the 2000 Goodwill games in lake placid, we shot the biathalon course w/ different targets. We also used snow mobiles to get from station to station. It was a ton of fun!!

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Get a M38 Carbine... Its like the M44 but with no bayonet..

7. 12fretter

12fretter New Member

Why would you not want the bayonet? There is an indescribable cool factor to explaining a World War II infantry gun at the range. And the fact that it is more accurate with the bayonet out than folded....you can't BUY that kind of satisfaction!

Here's my M44, just refinished:

[​IMG]

8. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

No bayonet was the reason I didnt get one... :p

Im pretty sure the reason they shoot better with bayonets, has to do with barrel harmonics..

Why else would the Russians give their snipers (Who didnt get a bayonet) a gun that was sighted in and shot better with a bayonet? :confused:
    The Russian military Mosin manuals Ive read have a section on wrapping the barrel in a certain location, to change the barrel harmonics; that has better effect than using the bayonet...

I posted this in another thread but ill put it here too:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

The picture is the same as the other thread too. Blank. So, kind sir, could you re post the pic it so kindly give us a description.

10. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Ok ill try again... :eek: Its not the same pic from the military manual, but shows the same thing, and in English!

[​IMG]

11. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you. Much better.

12. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Those are the places that I bedded my stock with cork. No impressive results, but need to shoot some more before I am sure. I suspect other forces of nature may be involved. Seems when I shoot for an extended period, the groups open up. That seems to me, that the barrel is wiggling around when it's hot, still. Or, because I am older, taking the recoil for thirty or more rounds is actually tiring, and I am not shooting as well as when I started the round. I still shoot the pattern of ; five rounds, not impressive group, the next five the same, the third five, tight, almost all touching, the fourth group the same, and all groups after getting progressively bigger. Taking me and my shooting out of the mix, how did Soviet troopers make any hits at distance, after periods of continuous firing? Or was mass fire the name of the game? I have already heard from someone out there that Snipers made most of their kills from short range, and I assume fewer rounds were fired Any old Soviets out there with the answer?

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've found that all of my Mosins are pretty much

dead on with the first shot, before the barrel heats

up. The test, for me, is accurate follow-up shots.

My 91/30 is nice, but IMO, the M44s are truly

something special.

BUT many ranges won't allow you to use your

rifle with a bayonet extended...

14. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The Mosin-Nagant series of rifles were war weapons, not target rifles. Minute of German at a couple of hundred yards was the accuracy considered "good enough." You can find 91/30s, M-44s, M-91s, or M-38s that are spot on, but generally they are just mass produced average shooters. The Finns did some really good alterations to the basic Mosin Nagant which produced rifles more competetive with the Enfields or Springfields. A Finn Mosin with a good barrel will outshoot all but the finest riflemen. A good M-27, 28, 28/30, M-39 or even a Finn 91/30 is a pleasure to shoot, and their groups can be impressive.

If you can find a [SA] marked rifle, Finn built or Finn altered, you will have a quality shooter.

15. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I just walked in from putting 20 rounds through my 91/30. I wouldn't trade anything for it. Heck, I ain't got but 125 dollars in it, and it came with the cleaning kit, ammo pouches, and bayonet. I haven't quite figured out how to get the bayonet on yet though.

16. JWagner

JWagner New Member

A bayonet that will not go on is not unusual. One of mine had to be filed out a bit to fit on without becoming a permanent installation.

17. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Yeah I can get it all the way to where the barrel is flush with the end of the hole and it stop. It only likes about 1/16 of an inch of going on.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Get an M-44 cause it's FUN!!:p

19. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I don't have that problem because my little Mosin is a 38. Have to shoot it more often to see if he is more accurate than his bigger brother. I haven't shot it much because I am no fan of the muzzle blast and flash. The barrel looks brand, but the stock is shot. I also heard that because the barrel length does not consume all the powder charge, the left over flash can burn the muzzle end of the rifling. The police use our county range, luckily the issue of a bayonet won't draw discerning looks from that crowd when I do shoot the 38

20. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If you want accuracy, Quit screwing around with the Russian Mosins and go get a Finnish one!!