Mosin PU sniper manual

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JonM, Aug 8, 2011.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

just got the mosin pu sniper manual from paladin press. translated from russian with original illustrations. it includes a ton of cool info regarding the proper use of the scope and soviet sniper doctrine. it also covers how the scope is constructed. info on how to use the reticle as a range finder.

the top knob is elevation and is a bdc set in meters. 1=100 meters 13=1300 meters. side knob is windage and is in mils +-1-10. the two outside screws on each knob are for zeroing the bdc dial once minor adjustments are made. major adjustment is done via the scope mount itself. dont loosen the middle screw as that keeps the whole knob together. dont overtighten the outer screws.

it has several charts on how to adjust for windage for target movememt wind and elevation charts for temperature. its written very well text is presented in a very clear no nonsense manor that you would expect of a well written manual.

it goes into deep depth on care and maintenance of the mosin 91/30. large print pages 114.

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

COOL!
    That would be something to see.
    :cool:

3. RaceBannon

RaceBannon New Member

The author /translator MAJ Jim Gebhardt USA (RET) is a friend of mine. He's done a great job with the manual. I love my copy.

http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/ A place for classic firearms

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Just ordered me a copy :)

5. TJB63

TJB63 New Member

Hey Jon,

Does this cover the proper set up and zeroing of the scope, or is it just more tactics type info?

Thanks
    TJ

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes it does cover zeroing. it does not cover the installation of the scope, rings, and mount as that was done only at the factory. im still hunting for more info regarding the tools and techniques for scope mount installation and proper center line to scope adjustments

im paraphrasing the soviet method:

the rifle is zeroed at 100m using a 20x30cm black square on white background at 100m with the iron sights set at 300m. poa is the bottom center of the square. bullets should impact 17cm above poa. once that is confirmed the rifle is placed in a cradle mechanically sighted via open sights then the scope adjusted to match.

fire the gun again using scope with poa at all times bottom center. once scope is hitting 17cm high set the bdc at 300m.

one of the more interesting sections is all the tables for adjusting the bdc for different targets distances wind temperature and using the reticle as a range finder

another interesting tidbit is the proper eye relief is 7cm or 2.7inches

its not your typical military manual like the US versions for our weapon systems. this is much better. if you want to know your mosin pu sniper inside and out this is a must have.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. TJB63

TJB63 New Member

Thanks Jon,

-- Thanks for bringing to our attention, I Got one on the way.

TJ