Mosin Nagent info please

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by randommj, Jan 27, 2010.

1. randommj

randommj New Member

Ive been looking around for a whyle for a cheap rifle to start out with, and I ran into (with your help) the marlin xl7, great gun for the price, but I kept looking around, being a russian and MGS fanatic I naturally ran into the Mosin-Nagent,

I know it probably wouldn't stand up to anything modern, but how is it otherwise, I heard the ammo is readily available, (7.62 x 54) and I could find one for around 200, is that accurate? how reliable are they, I have no problem with regular cleaning and maintenance but how (with a lack of better words) durable are they? is there anything I should stay away from?

I will only be using this gun for targets, Im no hunter:eek:

side note, my back yard is fairly wooded and I was looking forward to quoting "the end" (MGS) while I shoot targets:eek:

Miles

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Around here the M-N is going for about $125 top price. They are fair rifles and will last a life time if taken care of. One thing you need to make sure of is that they are not warout in the lands and groves. Sense these rifles are older then I am and have been well used like a $2 whore.

3. randommj

randommj New Member

...Im not really sure where that is, your going to have to treat me like a 4 year old with gun terminology, Im really sorry

so if taken care of they can take being fired often, seasonally? I dont want to get a great looking older gun that I cant fire because it will fall apart.

and in trying to narrow down a version, Im looking at the one fifth down from the top, and I believe it matches up (ignoring mods) in the lower pic, what model is that?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miles

4. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Check these out

Unless you know what a good bore and rifling looks like, I would take someone that does to pick one out. If you get a good one they are what you are looking for. If you use corosive ammo you need to thoroughly clean as soon as possible after shooting. They have been around forever and withstand tortureous handling and abuse. The balistics resemble a 30.06 and have a pretty good kick when fired. Make sure you don't pick one out that has been counter bored at the muzzle. It is possible to put a scope on them but I myself haven't seen one that has been done with any amount of relyability, not to say it cant be done. You should check this sight out. These look to be some of the better ones. Firearms <<<Click Here

5. opaww

opaww New Member

There not going to fall apart they still got many more years left if taken care of. I shoot mine some and really enjoy it.

Up at Knob creek range they go for about $125 give or take a little, knob creek range Is south Louisville Ky.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

So what do you want to know about the Mosin Nagant? The 5th rifle down in the pic is a 91/30 PU sniper. If you are looking for a great shooter, check out these guys.
    RGUNS - Bolt Action Rifles
    They are the largest importer of 91/30's. The standard 91/30 will out last you if cleaned properly. Recoil on a 91/30 is pretty mild, when you get to the carbines that changes. VG rifles and are capible of good accuracy.

7. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

here is a site with lots of good info on these rifles: 7.62x54r.net

8. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i can second the RGUNS remark as I was just there last night....they have a nice size row and/or selection of these rifles lined up behind the counter...:)

9. randommj

randommj New Member

how do I check for a good bore? and are there any places that might have a 91/30 in or around springfield or Joplin MO?

Miles

10. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I bought mine back in the summer for 107.00$ in good condition (it also came with everything... like the pouches, sling and bayonet). It is from 1943 and I am impressed with it. Here is opinion on this weapon:

It is easy to break down and understand.

Everything for it is rather cheap. You can buy a curved bolt for around 40$ after market as well as a sniper mount for 30$. A strip clip will cost you maybe 2$. I just saw a bayonet for one today priced at 8$.

A round cost about 20-25 cents a piece.

It is very fun to operate (loading and cocking it).

It is very accurate.

It is like the AK, freakin durable. Not as durable as the AK, but it still can take a beating.

Really and truly, it is an awesome little target shooting gun. Since it takes a little bit to go from shooting one round to the next you will find out that you will not be shooting up all of your ammo as fast compared to something like a M16 or SKS.

All and all, I give it 8/10 if you are using it for recreational purposes.
    I give it a 4/10 if you are an infantry man.

ps To answer you question about checking to see if the bore is good.....
    They make little flash light things (I forgot what they are called) that you can stick into the gun where the rounds go and then you can look down the barrel and view its condition. Simply look for flat spots or rust. If it all looks the same and if it has a good spiral inside then its bore is good.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. randommj

randommj New Member

12. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

Do you have any gun shows coming up in your area? These guns are so prolific that I don't see any reason to buy one online. Anybody that sells them tends to buy piles of them at a time and they will generally let you look through a few to find a decent one. You can find some in fantastic shape but others have been to hell and back. That auction you listed may seem like a good deal, but once you pay the 30 bucks for shipping and the 20 or so bucks your FFL charges its about the same you would pay buying a round receiver in person except you have no idea what condition its in.

Part of the fun in buying Mosins is looking through stacks of them and trying to get gun show dealers to undercut one another on the price. ;)

If you don't have a gun show around I've even seen them at big box stores like Gander Mountain for well under $150.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  13. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

IIRC a 1942 should not have the brass escutcheons, If its a war time stock it would have only a partial escutcheon.

Soviet M91/30

I cant quite tell but it could have a post war laminated stock, But Im not that familiar with them.
    I know we can find them locally for $90.00 as seen in your link.
    Good luck