Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by JustinM, Aug 6, 2013.

1. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, the cold shot from a Mosin is outrageously

accurate. If you're looking for a clean, dependable,

practical rifle, I would try to find a new or mint

M44.

Most of the T53s are very beat up.

2. Banger

Banger New Member

Forgive the "newbie" style question, but how do you check for counter boring ?

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

I gave my 1952 Hungarian M44 to my oldest son. It is silly accurate. I shot the biathlon course at Lake placid w/ it in 2000. We did not use the .22lr targets.

The end of the barrel/rifleing is counter bored, it has been drill out to fix bad cleaning habits and there is no rifleing. The Rifleing will begin 1/2" to 1" from the bore.

4. Red5Beard

Red5Beard New Member

I love Mosins, but not enough to pay over $130 for one. They're great rifles but many places and people think they're worth around $160 to sometimes $250. I've seen many people try to sell regular old Mosin for $200 on Armslist and different Facebook groups. I think it's ridiculous myself. I can still buy them all day long from $90 to $130. But that's just me.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

For a standard 91/30, maybe. But the well is drying up.

A really nice M44 is going to cost about twice that much, now,

at today's prices, regardless of what you happen to think they

are worth.

6. glangelius

glangelius New Member

There's an issue about counterbored Mosin-Nagants that keeps bugging me.

The inner face of that counterbore is what constitutes the actual 'crown' of the bore, and for the most part, they have been left as done by the arsenal since the refurb. I've got to believe that with corrosive ammo residues, those 'crown' faces have been exposed to deterioration for decades.

So I wonder if anyone has ever tried 'dressing' those counterbores' inner faces to clean up any potential deterioration, how it was done, and how, if at all, it affected the rifle's basic accuracy?

7. dteed4094

dteed4094 Member

I bought the first Mosin I ever saw at my local, back in the woods gun shop. I knew absolutely nothing about them. I shot it on the way home and was sorry I spent $99 on it including 2 boxes of ammo and fees. It is counterbored. After researching and extensive cleaning, I've changed my mind about it. I've since bought 5 more. The counter bored one shoots better than all but one of the others, and that one has had extensive up grading. If you intend to keep it Counter boring is a plus in my eyes. It is just recrowning without changing the original length.

8. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Though some the posts wrote about counterboring I'll tack on a photo or two.
    Also, do you know if it's been counterbored? This is done when the muzzle has become worn and accuracy has degraded. The bore is drilled out to provide a fresh crown at undamaged rifling.

The easiest way to tell is to put an unfired 7.62x54 round into the muzzle, if it looks like the bullet will go half way in bore or if the bullet slips into the case gripping the bullet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  9. Seargent_York

Seargent_York New Member

I went through a Mosin-Nagant phase. Ended up gifting a bunch of them and sold my M44 for a nice profit.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

These are fun guns. It's a great high-caliber iron-sight trainer. I mean seriously, how many guys go shoot their Remington 700s and Browning A-Bolts with iron sights? If you can learn to manage recoil with these guns, with the low cost of 7.62 x 54R it is a cheap way to get lots of practice

It's also a piece of history. Who knows where this rifle has been?

These also make great project guns. One can learn a lot about bolt action rifles taking one of these down and giving it a good de-cosmoline treatment.

Would I hunt with one? If I had to, sure.