Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by longunner, Sep 23, 2012.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

Brought out my Mosin for the first time today after getting it last weekend at the Syracuse gun show. Really it was a test to see if I got all the cosmoline off everything. I was going to go to the 100 yard range and really just see how I liked shooting it, but I ended up shooting at 200 because there was an hour long wait. I was using the spam can ammo and I actually managed to get a couple on the paper and even one in the black using irons. All I have to do now is get myself a spotting scope ,a recoil pad and a damn ice pack for my shoulder because that thing really kicks! :eek:

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

My buddy just bought one and I told him to get ready , its aint no .308 with a nice recoil pad .

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Russian soldiers ate Borscht (cold beet soup) so that they could hold the cold bowl against the sore spots!

4. longunner

longunner New Member

I'll have a nice bruise tomorrow about the size of my hand ha

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Also, I ate Borscht once before....I couldn't say which was worse the soup or stewed socks

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Come on you pansies...16 year old Russian girls fired these weapons. :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I can understand eating Borscht, but why the stewed socks:confused::rolleyes::D

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Guys, I am older than dirt and I shoot my Mosin-Nagant rifles often, with no added pad, and I never bruise. If you sock it in tight it pushes your shoulder instead of smacking it.

9. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Using the sling really helps with recoil. I shoot 203gr brown bear ammo. Not a lot different than a 22. There is a reason the Russians included the dog collars and it wasn't for captured pets.

I can help you get a recoil pad made for the Mosin nagant. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-MOSIN...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebf94137d

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1, They are pretty mild compared w/ say a lightweight hunter in .30-06.

11. m72law

m72law New Member

or...9.3x74R:D

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I actually find The recoil minimal. I think most shooters think the recoil is substancial because they are convinced long before they experience it objectively.

13. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I find when I get to excited and don't shoulder it right it'll hurt but if I pay attention and place it correctly it's a nice push.

14. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

hears the resulats from some test fireing from my mosion 91-30 with brown bear ammo 174 grain fmg
    first is at a 3-16 in plate the marks are from a 9mm
    [​IMG]

the other is a 3/4 plate from a railroad track
    [​IMG]

15. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

Last time I want to shooting I found out the military surplus ammo shoots 20 times better in my gun in the modern ammo that I Bought

16. akms47nagont

akms47nagont New Member

I personally don't think the gun has that much kick at all The only thing I dislike is the stock is a little shorter than most guns so when I shoot it my thumb hits my nose which gets annoying

Considered buying a recoil pad to get that extra 2 inches in the stock but I don't feel $20 is worth it to me

I'll decide next time I go shooting see how my nose feels afterwards

17. sergei100

sergei100 New Member

Ok, just which model are you shooting, it doesn't sound like the Mosin Nagant M38 or M44 carbine. Because being shorter they have real kick as compared to the long barrel.

18. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Keep in mind; a lot of those judging Mosin recoil are relatively new to shooting Hi-power rifles. Many have 22lr experience only and were told the recoil is extreme. Proper stance and range time will undoubtedly change their opinion. If someone introduces them to a comparable caliber and shows them how to hold the gun, relax and breath it really isn't extreme recoil. As long as you think it is, it will be. I can't realisticly see much, if any more recoil than .308, 30.06, 8mm. I think my 30/30 has more felt recoil than my Mosins.

19. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

My hunting buddy uses a .300 wby....that kicks. I use a M39 or my SVT-40 which is a kitten ;)

20. davemccarthy707

davemccarthy707 New Member

Sweet baby Jesus wrapped in a Christmas blanket! :eek: