mosin-nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by potentialglock, Sep 6, 2012.

1. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So I just bought my first mosin-nagant from budsgunshop.com and I'm super excited!! I'll post a pic as soon as I get it. However has anybody here used buds gun shop? Should I expect the gun to arrive as advertised or is there gonna be some ripoff?

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Buds is usually pretty good delivering as advertised, every now and then there is a hiccup but it's fixed pretty quick from what I've heard.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

I've bought 3 from them, all great shooters. Don't expect the new in box look (but you might get lucky)...worth every penny...

Shipping was odd, one took 3 days, one 6, the other 11 days...

Bud's is all good by me...congrats!! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  4. nhm91

nhm91 New Member

Have you mounted a scope on any of them? If so was it a lot of trouble?

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Nope, have no desire to 'bubbafy' it, I like them as is...

You can buy a scout scope that mounts to the rear sight base.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022VBAGS...e=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0022VBAGS

Trying to drill and tap sucessfully, to mount a scope is to me, is a total waste of time and money.

Some folks do it but I'd rather spend my time shooting it...:cool:

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I bought a rear sight base and had a machinist drill it and make a rail to fit the base, very solid and easy to reverse to origional glory. Not sure how well the gun shoots as all I've put through it is inconsistant milsurp ammo and it has a low budget NC Star LER scope on it. I think with modern ammo it will shoot 2 MOA or better which with my eyes is very acceptable.

7. nosaj

nosaj New Member

The Mosin is my main long rifle. However, i am not a hunter. But the way i see it, as long as i can drop a BG at 100 yds there is no need to throw a scope on it.

8. potentialglock

Where can I find the correct 7.62 ammo? Bass pro has 7.62x39 but I need a longer round don't I?

9. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Many gunshops/sporting goods stores carry 7.62x54r ammo. Your best bet is find a local gun show and look for a good deal there. I have started using mil surp(corrosive) ammo and have been very pleased with it. U can get 440 round tins for around $80.

10. vincent

vincent New Member

7.62x54r...(the 'r' stands for rimmed) $75 for 440 rounds, how can ya go wrong??? :D

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/7.62x54mm

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Do a google search, you will find many vendors. Pick the quantity you want then shop for the best price INCLUDING SHIPPING.

$150-160 for 880 rounds is a fair deal.

12. potentialglock

So if I were to buy ammo from budsgunshop.com it might be a good idea? I'm just afraid I'll get bad rounds or something

13. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I would be more worried with shipping costs than bad rounds

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Not very likely, most of their surplus was manufactured in the 80's (relatively recently for surplus) and they are stored in sealed airtight tins affectionately known as 'spam cans'...

There is more accurate, non-corrosive stuff out there (Brown Bear) but it's also more expensive...IIRC I think I paid $11 for a box of 20 before my mil-surp arrived, just so I had something to shoot...

Shop it around some, the link I provided is an old one, (still valid) there may be better deals out there...

15. potentialglock

So what does corrosive ammo mean?

16. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I buy the majority of my ammo(7.62 x 54) from ammoman.com. They have free shipping and I normally receive my order in about 7 days. I recommend you visit 7.62 x 54.net

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Means you need to clean your gun as soon as you can.

18. vincent

vincent New Member

The primers are corrosive to metal, the bi-product is something in the salt family...technical definitions escape me at the moment...

It just means you need to give your rifle a good bath with hot HOT water and dish soap followed by the usual brushing/oiling very soon after you shoot it. The Brown Bear is NOT corrosive but you should still get into the habit of cleaning asap, post range trip...

Some say an ammonia based product like Windex is best but that's a misconception, it's actually the water that neutralizes the acids...

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Corrosive ammo will begin to destroy the bore of your rifle within hours of shooting if not cleaned properly. There are some other forums devoted specifically to the Mosin-Nagant that will have detailed cleaning instructions. It is not difficult to clean the rifles, but you need to to it properly and consistantly.

20. potentialglock

Where can I find non-corrosive ammo? And what's the price difference? Is mil-surp ammo better to shoot even though its corrosive?