Mosin nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, Aug 5, 2012.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

So i live in southern new york and have been searching for a mosin and couldnt find one anywhere. I am now on a cross country road trip and either tommorow or the next day i will be passing a cabelas that carries them and i am definitley going to pick one up...funny went all the way to idaho to finally get one lol. Anyway i will be flying back and i really dont wanna have to check any luggage so does anyone have any good ideas on how i could go about getting it back to new york safely and legally?

2. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Ill sell you one and ship it.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Send it to an FFL in NY. You can ship a long gun, but as stupid as this is about to sound you have to do the 4473 once you get back to NY.

4. longunner

longunner New Member

Why would i need an ffl if i do all the background checks and paperwork there?

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Pics would be nice the ones i saw were in really good conditon but didnt have any of the accesories like the bayonet of magazine pouch...pm me

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Cause I dont' know NY law. I'm sure they have something about shipping a gun to yourself.

7. longunner

longunner New Member

Yea i have done a little reading on it but i dont trust the info i have seen online i just want some first hand knowledge that is accurate.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just get a Curio anf Relic FFL and order it yourself.:)

9. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Ny you need it shipped to a ffl.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

Would i have to have cabelas send it to the ffl and they do the background check in new york? How exactly would that work?

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If you purchase a rifle from an FFL (only legal way to do it if outside your home state) you CAN mail it to yourself- by US Mail. There is no transfer of ownership since you already own the rifle. Mailing a rifle or shotgun IS permitted under Federal law AND postal regs. (Chapter 14, Domestic Mail Manual, Restricted Mailings) HANDGUNS cannot be mailed except by an 01 Dealer or Manufacturer. Be SURE rifle is unloaded. You can also ship by UPS Ground.

If you are resident of CA, you may not buy firearm in any other state- CA law.

12. cottontop

cottontop Guest

c3,
    Do you know if a handgun can be shipped via UPS by a regular citizen or is shipping a handgun via UPS only allowed by an 01 dealer?
    cottontop

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

per C3:
    you can only mail a handgun, as i understand it, by common carrier such as UPS Fedex insured overnight to a ffl holder for repair or service and they can mail it back to you.

14. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

From the ATF website, but as stated don't know if NY has added to this:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
    Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

15. 51colt

51colt New Member

A Ca resident can buy a firearm out of state but has to shipped to FFL in Ca for transfer.
    ca

16. grichardt

grichardt New Member

I lucked out and found a mosin nagant at a local pawn shop today. Bolt is nice and smooth, going to get it cleaned up this weekend.

17. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Very nice! I love mine, cheap and fun to shoot plus it has history to it.

18. grichardt

grichardt New Member

I'm ready to get it cleaned up to shoot this weekend!

19. longunner

longunner New Member

I looled on the ups website and they said that they do not ship firearms long guns or handguns...i think im just going to go up to maine and make a road trip out of it with my girlfriend....seems like a win win to me no risk of violating federal law plus we get to have time away together. Thanks for all the advice and knowledge thats why i love this forum!!!

20. brandonannette

brandonannette New Member

If u get a mosin nagant from 1891 to 1895 u could being with and u could always order one from gunbroker to ur close gunshop watch out for the type 53 and I say get a fin m29 model best of mosins