Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rmcmahanP345, Jun 11, 2012.

1. rmcmahanP345

rmcmahanP345 New Member

I've always seen these Mosins on sale at Big 5 sporting goods, but never gave them a second look for a couple reasons: 1) Any foreign rifle for under $200.00 couldn't be that great. 2) Its probably a weapon you can't even find ammo for! Well, I was at Turners Outdoorsman the other day stocking up on ammo for my weekly trip to the range and at the end of the rifle ammo side was a huge stack of 7.62X54 which handled concern #2, so I went home to google some opinions on the weapon which seemed to be very favorable. I got onto You Tube and found a couple videos displaying the accuracy of the weapon also. Just curious if there is anybody out there who has one of these that could give me some feedback before I decide to add one of these to my collection.

2. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

3. jsbowman

jsbowman New Member

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Good guns for the price as far as a historical piece that is currently affoardae and shootable. Condition means a lot as far as how accurate they can be. A lot of the most recent ones have really dark bores and a lot of the early imports with nice bores often got neglected after shooting corrosive ammo. Ammo quality is pretty variable also. So, as long as you are of planning on a long range precision gun at a bargain they are usually solid shooters inside the 200 yd range uses you luck into a really nice example. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds is about average. Some do better, some do worse.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

They are cheap becuase after WW 2, when the Soviets were going to the SKS and AK47, they took their M-N's, put them through an arsenal rebuild, and put them away in the war stock reserve storage. Needing currency, they dumped a few million of them in the US market.

Most are not target rifles, but will shoot minute-of-zombie at 300 yards. Milsurp ammo is priced just above dirt. Cheaper than Fritos. You can buy two and a years worth of ammo for the cost of a rusty 30-30. Prices have been edging up, and supply will eventually dry up.

6. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

If u want a fun cheap gun to shot can't beat. it easy to clean n brake down got a lil kick to it tho and for the price u can't get a .22 for that price. rounds are cheap to. make sure u clean the gun as soon as your done at the range

7. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I've had mine for about a year. Take it to the range once a month for the Hell of it. I had a scout scope system on it for a while because I used it for white tail last season and it would hold 3in groups at 200 yds. The only problem with the surplus ammo is that they have corrosive primers and you have the clean then spotless after every time you put some rounds through. But for $80 its a steal and I'm gonna pick up another one to restore alone with my nagant revolver

8. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I was given a M-N, M-44 as a gift from my son a few years ago. Not a tack driver, but neither is it a throw-away. I can consistently hit a man sized target, off-hand at 100+ yards using the iron sights. I don't shoot it often, but I know that it is reliable and "combat accurate." The 7.62 x 54R is a very powerful cartridge that should be able to take down any two, or four legged critter in N. America. There is lots of surplus Russian ammo out there, and Winchester makes a semi jacketed soft point round. If all else fails, it has a built-in, folding bayonet. :cool:

I'm keeping it original, not for any "collector" value, but just for historical reasons.

[​IMG]

9. Capybara

Capybara New Member

I just bought my first 91/30. They are really cool, historic (mine is a 1942 Izhevsk and according to the experts, there is a good chance my rifle was issued and used to shoot some Nazis). Ammo is the bargain of the century, you can find it for .17 per round in quantity. Yes, it does shoot corrosive, but so what, so did every U.S. military gun prior to the 1950s. Just means you cannot be lazy and NOT clean it when you shoot it, no biggie.

IMHO, every shooter should have a Mosin in the gun safe. Cheap, reliable and fun to shoot, they make a big boom and a big fireball. They are not as accurate as modern rifles but they are more accurate than most non-benchrest shooters are.

Get one while they are cheap.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I got my first Mosin (a clean, Polish, 1955 M44) by coincidence more than

on purpose. Thinking, ehh, I'll just fire a magazine, clean it, and throw it in

storage as a conversation piece. I got it with a potload of ammo, which

I took with me to the range. About 80 rounds (and a sore shoulder) later,

I was hooked. I now have three, and by luck of getting the first in prime

condition, knew what to look for getting the next two.

Go for all-matching serials-bolt, barrel, buttplate and mag base.

If it's a 91/30, get a hex barreled receiver, if it's an M44, they are

not hard to find in great condition. IMO, it's always worth it to hold out

for a good one.

Your seller should have all the accessories it will ever need free:

Cleaning kit

Cleaning rod

Sling

Bayonet

Ammo pouches

Combo solvent/oil bottle.

11. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

This on my friends gun u don't want to see this on the gun when u get one look pay close attention take a flash light with u to check the barrel n try to look up in the chamber best u can gift any bad pit.

Attached Files:

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looks like fairly normal Russian stock repairs that don't really detract from value or function. The repair near the rear of the action looks kind or like repairs to a stock that once was modified for a sniper rifle to return it to normal use.

13. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

I'm just saying look out for things like this there is so many out there be picky

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's what I was thinking on that rear part too. Bread is right though, there are enough of then still on the market that a buyer can afford to be picky.

15. condor56

condor56 New Member

Got 2 from AIM Surplus. Great rifles. Kick somewhat but fairly accurate for their age. Addicting I must say. I leave them alone for the historical value and do not modify them. Here in SC a rifle is a rifle. No one degrades my choice for a Russian rifle. Most responses are "cool".