Firearms Talk banner

Mosin nagant

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Capybara 
#1 ·
Just checking for current pricing looking for a decent one nothing collectible just a good shooter and don't want to overpay. I've done a lot of research figured it didn't matter which one I get as long as its in decent shape and take it to a gunsmith to have the head space checked. Any other advice?

#2 ·
Anywhere Fromm 89 to 140 is the price range. I paid $100 for a 1934 hex. Clean all the cosmoline. And start shooting.

#7 ·
You can get a 91/30 on the internet for 90$, but after shipping,

FFL, and taxes and fees, you may find yourself saddled with a

mismatched, re-arsenaled POS.

You have a much better chance of getting a rifle with

matched serials and a nice stock if you can look at it before you buy.

Shipping will be part of the LGS's overall higher price, then.

Some mail order places let you specify a "hand selected" rifle

for an additional fee, which IMHO, is well worth it, especially if

they will guarantee a hex receiver and matching serial #s.

Bear in mind you will have a long time to regret not spending

enough, if you wind up with a less than satisfactory unit.

#8 ·
If you are looking for a basic shooter, J&G has consistently had a fair price and good service. When you are buying a entry-level Mosin-Nagant, it is not a bad place to buy. There are other vendors that are just as good, I am sure. Be sure, if you are buying a standard rifle that you calculate in the accessories, which sell separately for around $35.00, which can be a significant percentage of the purchase price. Also factor in shipping cost, there can be big differences in the final price. You may also be able to buy the field head-space gauge for the same price as taking it to a smith to check. If you never buy another Mosin, you can ebay it and get your money back.

These rifles are inexpensive, not cheap. Get one while the price is low, it won't last forever.

#10 ·
Just went to the pawnshop and all they had was a remanafactured mosin covered in cosmoline long barrel not the carbine for 170 they have the carbine for 300 think I will wait for the gunshow in a month or so.
The pawn shop owner is waiting for a victim. The prices are out of line. Go look at Gunbroker, you can see what the rifles are actually SELLING for. Forget the bid opening price, look for the rifles that actually have bids on them.

#12 ·
I believe I paid 99 for each of my Mosins. A 1942 and a 1943. They are war era rifles so the overall finish is a bit more utilitarian than some of the non battle time built. There is significant tooling marks on my rifles but they still do their job very well. I will soon be showing off what I did with one of them... inspired by Jeff Cooper... if you don't know... Google it...

#13 ·
I was lucky, inasmuch as I backed into a great

first Mosin purchase. From this, I was able to

set the standards for future acquisitions.

I avoided the lower tier of non-matching, poorly

re-arsenaled units entirely. Then I was fortunate

enough to find a 1925 Izzy hex with matching serial#s.

My experience was all direct purchases from a LGS, after

a close inspection of the rifle. YMMV, and I can only hope others

will be as lucky (and persistent) as I was.

#14 ·
I was lucky, inasmuch as I backed into a great

first Mosin purchase. From this, I was able to

set the standards for future acquisitions.

I avoided the lower tier of non-matching, poorly

re-arsenaled units entirely. Then I was fortunate

enough to find a 1925 Izzy hex with matching serial#s.

My experience was all direct purchases from a LGS, after

a close inspection of the rifle. YMMV, and I can only hope others

will be as lucky (and persistent) as I was.
I have a boat load of the worthless Ruskie guns. 3/4 of which were bought from online auctions, with only photos and descriptions to go on. All of the auction guns met or exceeded my expectations. Last year. I also bought 6 "toss of the dice" T-53's, for well under $100.00 each. Five of these would now sell for $150.00 +. The sixth was totally shot-out, so I parted it out on ebay for more than I paid for the rifle and still ended up with a stock and bolt.

My point is, there are deals out there if you look and take time to learn what you are looking at. Know what the going rate is before you shell out too much money to someone waiting to fleece you. Believe it or not, there are some dishonest people in the gun business.:D

There are some great web sites dedicated to Mosins. Some of them are friendly and some of them are not so much..... All of them have invaluable information for someone interested in the guns. The friendly ones have some very qualified folks that love to answer questions to interested newcomers. The not so friendly ones, it is easier just to look and read.

While I don't consider it polite to advertise another group's forums here, it is not difficult to find these sources.

#16 ·
I just picked up my first 91/30 at Big 5, on sale for $99.00 It is actually in pretty good shape, all of the accessories included. Wow, a nice, interesting piece of history (mine is a 1941 Izhevsk, so it possibly killed some Nazis) for under $100.00, how can you beat that?

Will post images when it comes home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.