mosin nagant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by akm47nagiont, Feb 22, 2012.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Opinions. what ammo to buy. Should I stock up on ammo

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Yea stock up on any ammo for it you can find. Its cheap! But before too long the old military surp. will run out. And then you will have to turn to major manufacturers and pay retail.

I used to have one and it shot everything I put in it.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Message from an old man-

At one time, there was a bottomless ocean of CHEEP military surplus ammo. 30-06. 8mm Mauser. 7.7 Jap. 6.5 Carcano. .30 carbine. 7.65 Argentine Mauser. .303 Enfield. Cheaper than the box it was shipped in.

Guess what? When a nation STOPS using a cartridge as their military round, they are going to stop rotating off ammo and selling it. I got some of the last of the Greek .303 Enfield. When it is gone, it is gone.

There IS a bottom to that ocean. There are pools of 8mm, 7.62X54R, and 7.62x39. Some of those pools will last longer than others. But they WILL dry up. If I had had the foresight to buy a swimming pool worth of M1 Carbine ammo when it was going for about 3 ¢ a round, I could fund buying a Barret with it.

If you wait, you WILL pay more.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Question for the old man...:D How can one tell how deep the pool is? Specifically the 7.62x54r...I'm under the impression it's still in use to some degree for training. People like me are grabbing it up like the "just take one" bowl at Halloween. Trying to improve my hindsight with some foreward thinking, is there really any way to tell?

6. c3shooter

7.62X54R is still used in the former Warsaw Pact PKM medium machine guns, and for their Dragunov sniper rifles. Which means that you can score ammo that is not TOO old, and had a better chance of have been stored in good conditions (unlike the Pakistani .303 Enfield that seems to have been stored in the uncured skin of a goat at the bottom of a bog)

Now, I DO have a call in to my friend Vladmir Putin- I have asked him how long they will keep using this before they drop it in favor of another caliber- but Vlad is out at his dacha with Lyudmila and their dogs, and has not gotten back to me- but I will let you know as soon as he calls......:rolleyes:

Me- I bought a lifetime supply of 8mm and 7.62X54R (and 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x39) a couple of years ago- came into some unexpected money, and decided to buy ammo rather than waste it on food. Paid about 8¢ a round. 17¢ is the best price I can find right now to feed my M/Ns. I do not see it getting cheaper.

7. Ic3man505

Ic3man505 New Member

Would you go with light or heavy grain when buying the excess russ ammo?

8. c3shooter

They are both decent rounds. I got a bunch of the Czech light, and the Russian heavy. Think the Russian has a bit more recoil, Czech shoots a bit flatter.

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Okay, thanks C3, I reckon I'll just keep an eye on the prices, should be a decent barometer....

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When ever I have an extra $160.00 laying around I will order another case of what ever is selling low at the time. I have not been disapointed with any of it yet.
    I do shoot a lot more of it than I thought I would. Like C3, I thought I had a lifetime supply with 4 cases. Unless I croak sooner than I would rather, it isn't going to be enough.

11. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Mine is in collectors condition being that it is unissued that said I did not want to shoot corrosive ammo

12. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

And all serial numbers match

13. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Or you could get a real/ accurate rifle, no offense.

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

There are many who really like Mosin Nagants. :cool:

Everybody has their own opinion and preferences.

15. vincent

vincent New Member

How do you know it was unissued? Matching s/n's are not that uncommon...just curious...

16. Chainfire

Tell me what is un-real about a Mosin Nagant? As far as accurate, if you get one that has not been shot-out, and most have not, they will generally shoot more accurately than 99% of the folks shooting them. That is accurate enough for me.

17. Chainfire

You certainly may have an unissued rifle, but if your rifle was made prior to 1945 the chances of it being unissued is almost nil. There are some Finn rifles, and some Polish rifles that may have been unissued, but not many, most of them are also dated after 1945 as well, and they are quite pricey in comparison. I would think an unissued 91/30 would be worth a small fortune.

Shooting corrosive ammo is no more harmful than shooting modern ammo, IF you clean your firearm properly.

Matching numbers on reconditioned rifles is the norm. The reason for that is when they were reconditioned, replacement parts were numbered to the barrel shank. Some were stamped matching, some were electro penciled and some used both. While stamped renumbering is more attractive than EPd renumbering, there is not any other difference either functionally or historically.

Rifles that were not reconditioned rarely have all matching numbers. Rifles in combat had heavy wear and damage. When damaged, if salvageable, the rifles were repaired with what ever parts were at hand; usually from another damaged, and unrepairable, rifle. This does not make the rifle less historically accurate either.

18. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

Mine is 1943 it is an ex sniper and it looks to be unissued. I do not see service wear. the only wear it has is what I put on it. if it was issued it was issued when it was a sniper rifle. for the quality and not packed in cosmoleen I got it at an amazing price. It may be arsenal refinished but I think it's unissued I know it was converted from a sniper rifle to a standard issue rifle. when I bought it the guy at the gun store said it was unissued

19. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I recently acquired a 1943on which all of the metal looks as though it never had a round chambered. The bluing is very even and absolutely perfect. All edges are sharp and crisp. The bore looks unfired and is very shiny. All matching numbers. The butt plate is pristine. It looks as though it was made yesterday. The stock, on the other hand appears to have definately seen battle action. It is laminated with the appropriate nicks and dings and a fine crack on the left side slightly below the the rear of the receiver ahead of the tang. Obviously was rearsenaled. I got it from Dunhams for $79.95. I put the metal on a stock that looks to be unissued or at least in very nice condition. I'm not sure if the switch was a wise move or not but it was obvious the stock that came on it did not match the condition of the metal. I might not ever fire this one.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  20. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

The blueing on mine is crap because of storage if what you say about yours is truth thin yours is in better condition than mine