Mosin Nagant yes or no?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Fathead00, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I've been seeing alot of people talking about this rifle. Our friend is buying his 3rd one. We own an AR15 and a Rem 721 30-06. So, my question is should we have a Mosin Nagant in our collection? Also, are the Mosin Nagants at Cabelas for $150 a good deal? Thank you for your info on this topic

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I havent bought one yet but those surplus Ammo prices are tempting...

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, the cartridge is in between .308 and 30-06 power range, so it has some legs.

When the Soviet Union went to semi autos and autos, they took the bolt action rifles, ran them back thru the factories for what was basically a tech inspection and rebuild. They then glopped them in Cosmoline, and put them into Emergency War Storage.

45 years or so later, realizing they were not going to use them, but needed cash, the Russian government put them on the market. Shiploads of them, apparently.

You can't buy a .22 for the cost you would pay to buy this decent 500 yard rifle. They are crude, heavy, and made to survive being handled by a Russian peasant that had never seen anything more complex than a door hinge. And they did.

When I first got mine, I paid $70. Price IS going up. At that amount, why not. 2 years ago i bought a lifetime supply of MILSURP ammo. Paid 6 cents a round, in sealed cans.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

its a great rifle. long as the barrel isnt shot out and its in good condition they ones your looking at should be fine. condition of the stock isnt an idicator of the condition of the metal.

ive got 4 of them a snipe version an m44 and two 91/30 full length rifles.

walmart where i live stocks 7.62x54r winchester whitebox softpoints.

good condition 91/30's out shoot most cheap budget deer rifles

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Got a flyer in the mail yesterday that said Cabela's was putting them on sale for $119.

6. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

I bought one about 4 months ago and I love it. They are great rifles, and the the price of them and the ammo are just added perks. They also make ways of making them more modern for people that aren't in to the old milsurp look or a rifle you can pole vault with.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Best $120 you can spend while keeping your clothes on. :p I currently have 2 91/30s and just picked up a Chinese Model 53, a clone of the Russian M44 carbine. As others have stated, they are lots of fun to shoot and the ammo is cheap, not .22lr cheap but then again no .22 is going to shoot clear through a steel plate at 100 yds. :D Then there is the general badassness of shouldering a 4 foot long rifle with a 18" spike bayonet on the end, did I mention the fireballs?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

One other thing.

If i had to choose betwen ruger scout ruger american savage axis remington 770 winchester anything all current production i would prolly take the mosin.

9. Devin556

Devin556 New Member

Yeah the muzzle flash is awesome. Especially when the sky is just starting to get dark.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

YES YES and YES buy one, buy two, buy three, buy a fourth and sporterize it! Mosins are great rifles just make sure you have a clean bore. Cleaning off the cosmoline is kind of a PITA but its oh so worth it in the end :cool:

11. longunner

longunner New Member

Then you should go buy one or five too :p

12. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

13. 1411

1411 New Member

That's a big "prolly" - I'm a Mosin fan but I'd rather my GSR. Even though I did just strip and sand the stock on my Mosin.

14. Garadex

Garadex New Member

As if it hasn't been said enthusiastically enough, yes.

Attached Files:

15. nosaj

nosaj New Member

I have never heard a legitimate reason not to buy one. Aside from the affordability of the gun itself... You can find 440 rounds of surplus ammo for under $100.

16. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Yes you should buy one and 150 is an ok price at best but still totally worth it

17. vincent

vincent New Member

The FTF has spoken...a Mosin you shall have young padawan...;)

Good bore, you're good to go...

Get one for the wifey too, they ain't gonna be inexpensive forever...:cool:

18. longunner

longunner New Member

Maybe ill get another one too :cool:

19. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Woah, woah, woah......Fathead already thinks I'm an ATM. Let us not encourage him any further. I think one each would be sufficient..... :)

20. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Not just "yes"... HELL yes!! Get one... get some ammo (surplus is fine, but you can also find current manufactured stuff that is less dirty) but I have two things to add; 1) DO NOT wait to clean it after shooting (especially when using that surplus ammo.. when they say "corrosive"...) and 2) This is a commie issue, WW2 era *****!! Hold on to her tight when shooting it... cycle the bolt hard to get the next round... and watch out if you have a spotter on your right... It will throw the spent shell into the next county!!
    Have fun and be safe!! ;)