Mosin Nagant Tackdriver

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by SubSniper91395, Aug 17, 2012.

1. SubSniper91395

SubSniper91395 New Member

I'm looking to take my Mosin and turn it into a tactical tackdriving/hunting rifle. I have my plan almost completely outlined but there is one thing I'm curious about....a barrel change. Does anyone know of any companies that sell or could fabricate a threaded, Mosin bull barrel?

2. brandonannette

brandonannette New Member

U could look for a fin m29 or get a real sniper rifle or even ex sniper the one they made sniper rifle where best shooting that why made sniper rifles

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'd have to surf to find it, but there is a site that offers machine gun barrels chambered in 7.62X54r. Already threaded for the mosin. It needs contouring. I'd look for ya, but I gotta get ready for work. Google mosin parts and see if you can find it.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ifyou decide to go this route the issue mosins have is the crappy ammo and the the .311 bullet diameter. The threading is an issue. I came across a article once a while back that detailed the threading on the reciever. The info is out there. Whatever barrel you choose make sure its .308 bore 1:10 twist. Then you can use much better bullets.

This means you will have to reload since there arent any 7.62x54r commercial ammo using .308 bullets. There is no quality accurate x54r using commercial bullets in .311 and none for reloading either.

If you go the machine gun barrel route your stuck using .311 bullets still. Mosin and tack driving is whats called oxymoron. They can turn in moa groups but its hardly a platform for a precision rifle.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  5. SubSniper91395

Alright then I will spring for something like a Remington 700 SPS with a Viper optic. I have had my eye on something like that for a while.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

your mosin i can assure you is MORE than adequate for hunting as it is when choosing new commercial softpoint ammo. winchester makes a nice softpoint for hunting with them as does about a half dozen others. its just not match ammo but will be a beast getter any day of the week. anything you hunt with a 30-06 or 308 you can hunt with a mosin 91/30. they really lend themselves extremely well to open sight hunting for things like feral hogs and deer due to the really long sight radius and the uncomplicated sight style.

7. SubSniper91395

I will undoubtedly still use it to bag things like feral hogs, deer, antelope, and coyotes. But I still think I should pick up that Remington 700 SPS for my more precision/long range duties.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

There's a guy down in Clearwater who's done it.

You would only recognize the bolt.

Bull Barrel, special custom stock, etc. Betcha it'll

only take me about 9 years to locate his

business card.

But yes, you can get a M/N Bull Barrel...

9. orangello

orangello New Member

classicfirearms did offer them, but i'm not sure if they still have them. Perhaps they could point somebody in the right direction. The barrels were target crowned and such.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/