Mosin Nagant stuck bolt question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ablebaker, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

Howdy folks.
    I have an old Mosin Nagant carbine with the bolt stuck closed on an empty chamber. Any suggestions on how to get it open?:)

Could this be caused by a broken extracter?

Bolts open now. Used a large vice and a rubber mallet. Much thanks to everyone who responded! You folks rock!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Drop the floor plate to make sure its not snagged on the follower and give the bolt handle a few taps with the handle of a hammer. Once it rotates up it should go.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Pull the cocking knob back, then try...

4. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

tried and failed

Tried what you suggested and I can't get the handle to rotate though it isn't actually frozen in place, it does have a little bit of play in it.
    Thanks for trying.:)

5. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

already tried this.

Tried this with the rifle assembled and dis-assembled.
    Thanks for the help:)

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well then move on to plan b. Spray or pour a mix of solvent and gun oil down the barrel and let it soak a bit. Then try again.
    Did you just get the gun? Did it come with the bolt stuck?

7. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

Ok, here's the deal...

It's my friends rifle. He doesn't have internet right now so I'm trying to help him out.
    He got the rifle from the bottom of a river. A person that he knows had been shooting from the riverbank and dropped the rifle. He thought the rifle was gone for good but my friend went there the next morning and pulled the rifle out of the river bottom.
    He took the rifle home and cleaned it up; the bolt worked fine at this time, but ceased to function (got stuck) when he was cycling the action afterwards.
    The bolt does have a little bit of wiggle room as the bolt handle can be moved up and down slightly (a couple of milimeters).

8. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

Soaking now.

Soaking now.
    How long do you recomend I let it soak?

9. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

a note on ammo

The guy that dropped it had been using old surplus machine gun ammo that had all been in a linked belt.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Make damn sure there is not a chambered round before doing anything else. Use a cleaning rod and carefully measure the distance to the bolt face (or something else, like a 7.62 live round) Once you know you are sure it is not loaded go to plan 2.

The rifle is not fragile, use a 2 x 4 and a hammer and smack hell out of the bolt, it will open, then find out what was jamming it.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I don't have a Mosin, but i have heard people talk about stuck cases & such and using a rod down the barrel to help the bolt back after getting the bolt handle to rotate. I have not tried this so, wait for someone else to agree or laugh at the idea.

edit* Chain beat me to it.

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Definately make sure its empty.
    It sounds like you guys may have been using the wrong ammo.

As far as orangellos suggestion I'm sure that would work but my preference would be to beat on the bolt handle if possible. Less likely to damage anything.

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I was using a rod to measure, to make sure it was not loaded, not to push with. I sure as the world wouldn't want a cleaning rod through my pretty face with a .30 caliber round right behind it and that followed by hot gas and carbon residue. That could ruin your day.

Pushing from the muzzle end wouldn't help anyway . That bolt needs rotated.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Did you guy disassemble the bolt?

15. Sickofnotliving

Sickofnotliving New Member

Make sure that nugget is not loaded, and im kinda skeptical of the legalities of now having this rifle, since it still does belong to someone else, i dont believe finders keepers works with firearms. Soak it with solvent, lead hammers work nice, first try to hit the bolt down, then back up. Another thing, look at the numbers on the bolt and see if they match the receiver, floorplate, butt. If the numbers do not match, then some clearence issues maybe in order. My 1942 tula mosin , was made during a time when the russians were trying to produce them as fast as possible, so that led to some very minor problems where the bolt would get stuck in the receiver channel. A little dremeling and never again did I have any problems. But for you, check to make sure its legal for you to now have this firearm and if so, use some leverage to try to pry the bolt open... Or save yourself the headache and spend $100 bucks and get yourself a brand new gun.

16. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

not sure

I did not ask specifically about that but I shall.

17. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

safety check

I know it's empty as I used a cleaning rod to check if the fireing pin was still working.

18. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

You could just throw back in the river.:D

19. Ablebaker

Ablebaker New Member

I did not require legal advice at this time.