Mosin Nagant serial #s

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by longunner, Mar 11, 2013.

1. longunner

longunner New Member

Looking at my Mosin for the millionth time and I noticed all my serial numbers match. Does this increase the value? I hope I lucked out on this one lol I've had this gun for months and am now just noticing this. Its a 1936 Izhevsk armory if that makes a difference.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Are they forced matched or electro penciled on?

3. longunner

longunner New Member

Not really sure, don't know how to tell if they are or not here's some pics:

Attached Files:

• MN1.jpg
      MN1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • MN2.jpg
      MN2.jpg
      File size:
      30.4 KB
      Views:
    • MN3.jpg
      MN3.jpg
      File size:
      28 KB
      Views:
    • MN4.jpg
      MN4.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
  4. kytowboater

Looks ok. I'm no expert by any means. What about bottom of the magazine?

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Its in there it was the second pic. Theres four numbers that match right? Buttplate, magazine, bolt, and receiver right?

6. kytowboater

Looks all original to me. Maybe someone with more knowledge will come along. Nice rifle.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Even when rearsenaled they were stamped to match. Every one of mine matches except for my Finn, but that is considered a Finn match (butt plate and bottom metal don't) SA Stamped.

8. longunner

longunner New Member

So it's nothing special? Damn thought I got lucky :D oh well it's still a good shooter, all I ask for :cool:

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have a '35 Tula Hex that is the same way. I hooked a buddy up w/ a 1929 Ex-Dragoon. Same thing. Maybe 15 years from now it will be worth more then $120.00. Use to buy Vet bring back K98's for $150.00..175.00, Brit Enfields for $125.00. He!! K31 Swiss were $129.00. As long as you enjoy it, That is all that matters.

10. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have owned quite a few, presently have two with matching numbers, and found that all with or with out matching ser. numbers fired about the same. The ones that I had with the counter bored barrels were not as accurate IMO. There were about 14 million produced so I doubt that they will ever have any collector value.

11. Jericho1911u22

Jericho1911u22 New Member

I disagree with the collector value being non existent in the future. Watching videos on youtube people are hacking them up left and right. I have a hex receiver with matching numbers also.

Are the bayonets suppose to match? Mine doesn't the number stamped on the bayonet is 4 digits and the numbers on my rifle are 5 digits.

On later models that aren't hex receiver there is more of a chance of the numbers not matching or being electro penciled in since the were produced and used during war time. Mine doesn't have the refurbished mark. A square with a slash through it on the stock near the butt. I don't know if any of the hex receivers ended up with a refurb mark. I know quite a few of the round receivers did.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

bayo?????? (the ten)

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

matching numbers on mosins means yours came out of the russian rearsenal cosmoline storage at some point sold to an importer and either right in your hands or whomever you got it from has not messed with it.

war issued mosins arent chrome bolted and having one of those that was never arsenaled with correct parts is rare and worth more if in really good condition.

non arsenaled mosin snipers that have matching non arsenaled scopes and mounts are very very rare and run a very pretty penny.