mosin nagant scope mounts

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by ZEDDICUS, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ZEDDICUS

ZEDDICUS New Member

can any one advise me on a decent scope mount and scope for my mosin nagant?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

3. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I don't have a clue which model Mosin you have, or what type of mount you are looking for -- but I have heard good things about Darrell's scout mounts:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'm pretty certain he's looking for a mount like the scout mount. You can have a reciever drilled and tapped for another type mount but you'll also need to have the bolt turned down. The PU mount used in the snipers will require the rifle to be made for it. Which also involved a cutout section of the stock.

Scout mounts are the most typical with a long eye relief scope..

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Yes, well.... you know what happens around here if you start making assumptions. ;)

7. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Another vote for a Darrell's.

[​IMG]

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Hey gandog -- do you know if Bill is still the one machining these?

9. i have a scout mount on my m44 it works well. weaver makes a side mount for the savage 340 i think, that fits the mosin nagant with the traditional bent bolt or a sportster bolt.

10. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Have no idea what his first name is. But I do know he called me a couple weeks after I ordered one to see if everything was working out with it. How many other manufacturers out there do that?

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

First name? As in Parallax....? ;) :D

12. straticaster

straticaster New Member

hello. i hate to butt in. ive had my mosin for 2 years now and want to put a scope on it. i really dont want to do any drilling or anything that could hurt the value. ive hears about people using some sort of a mount that fits on the rear sight. any ideas on what to do?

13. hardcharger19

hardcharger19 New Member

I'm looking to put a scope on my M44 as well and I've seen some pics were it looks as though the rear sight assembly was sacrificed for a scope mount on top of the receiver instead of having it side-mounted. I'd have to go with a side mount because I want mine to be historically accurate and I absolutely refuse to sacrifice my iron sights for the sake of adding an optic.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Also in stratacaster thread

I bought a sight base and made a rail that fit down inside where the Iron sight fit. I then drilled the sight base and rail and pinned them together and slid it back on to the dovetail and pinned so it can't possibly move. Some of the bases are silver soldered on to the dovetail so after removing the pins you'll have to heat the base to melt the solder and then drift the base off the dovetail with a brass drift. Sometimes the pins holding the base on are also soldered and need to be heated to be removed. Mine holds zero very well as long as the scope holds up. There is no need to resolder if everything fits snugly.