Mosin Nagant questions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by workinprogress, Mar 16, 2011.

1. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

I was at Dunham's last night looking for the girlfriend's birthday gift (Savage bolt in .223). While there I took a look at some of the older rifles they had up for sale. One was a Mosin Nagant 91/30 on sale for $90. I know that they shoot the 7.62 x 54 ammo but was wondering if there is a specific type this rifle will shoot and where can I get surplus if that's what it needs? Also, what should I be looking for on one of these rifles to see if it's in good shape? I'm guessing this was a good price because what rifle can you get for under $100 these days.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

The ammo that it uses is 7.62 X 54 R or Russian. As for surplus I don't know.
    F.K.

3. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Some believe the Hex receiver MN rifles have a better fit and finish, I have a 1942 round receiver MN that is in real good shape, I paid $130 for mine with, Tax, Background check, 100 rounds of ammo.

Viola!
    [​IMG]
    Did the rifle you look at come with all the accessories?
    I have been reloading my 7.62x54r and have had good results, I'm not 100% set on the sights yet, But I hope to get that squared away this summer.
    Best of luck

4. workinprogress

It did not have any with it and the guy behind the counter didn't mention any. The stock also looked a bit rougher than the one's that you guys have. I may go to AIMS, $70 with shipping and transfer wouldn't be too bad at all.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The R means Rimmed!

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

You can buy nice arsenal refurbs at Aim Surplus with all the accessories for $69 + shipping. Might as well buy a can of 7.62 x 54R russian light ball 440 rounds for $79.95 while your at it. $149.90 for both + shipping + FFL fees. I got 3 91/30s for $270 including shipping and dealer fees. The ammo was under $97 total.

7. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

Regardless of the price and stock condition workinprogress, you want to check the bore and barrell. These are by far the most important parts with these rifles. You want to make sure the crown is in good condition and that the barrell has styrong rifleing. This helps to ensure you get one that shoots accurately. With these rifles there's really no consistency with how well they shoot. I have a 1926 hex receiver 91/30 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100yds, and a 1944 round receiver that looks almost identical that shoots a 4" group at 100yds. Surplus ammo can be found just about anywhere online. Just remember when you are buying surplus that these rounds are Berdan primed and corrosive. You will have to clean this gun differently than others because of the salts in the primer. Other than all that it's an awesome gun to shoot and I absolutely love mine. For the price of surplus ammo, it's hard not to get one. Here's the most popular and best information site I have found about the Mosins. Enjoy!

7.62x54r.net

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

My Bad we learn something new every day.
    F.K.

9. workinprogress

Alright, you guys keep answering all my questions and then create new ones for me to ask. How do you clean these rifles compared to normal?

10. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

cosmoline or after shooting?

After shooting many people get very hot water(boiling?) and pour it down the barrel, Chamber first, The hot water dries faster and loosens the corrosive salts easier, Dry, Lightly oil, It may not hurt to run a brush through the bore as well.

Cosmoline, That can be a pain, My rifle didnt have much on it, But the bolt needed some help there, I took it apart and had my oven set to 175 heated it up turned it off and put the parts in on a plate with cloth.
    There are all sorts of ideas about removing cosmoline, Try a google search and see what you like the best.

11. Scoobydoo51

Scoobydoo51 New Member

Damn I am gonna get two rifles and 880 rounds of ammo from that site!

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A bit of boiling water down the bore, and clean like any other rifle.

This is a C&R topic

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  13. I clean mine with boiling water down the barrel then Hopps no9 on everything else. I also take apart the bolt assembly every once in awhile and boil it in hot water for a couple mins too. They are pretty easy and painless to clean and take apart. For purchasing one i would look at Aim as previously posted and J&G sales. If your lucky you can get your hands on a Polish or Finnish Mosin, They are the Cadillacs of Mosin Nagant rifles. Anyway you go with it good luck and have fun.

14. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

I see a lot of posts about cleaning the rifle after shooting with boiling water and even though you dry the water you are heating the barrel with water and then when it cools after you clean it you are allowing the gun to condensate and create more water. I would just stay away from water completely with guns. I use windex with Ammonia. The ammonia and alkalinic state of Windex neutralizes the salts from the primer. The only thing the ammonia does to the metal is dry it out, which can easily be solved by running an oiled patch through it. Then you don't have to meticulously make sure the gun is dry and won't rust. All you need to do is hit a patch with the same amount of windex as you would gun oil and you're set. Make sure you windex any metal part of the gun that the powder could have made contact with. Really not that complex at all.