Mosin Nagant Q's

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Dropy, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Dropy

Dropy New Member

I am thinking of buying a couple Mosin Nagants for the house to play with. What i am curious about is if there any aftermarket stocks for these weapons? Also, for those that own them, did you cut down the barrel any and recrown it and sporterize the stock at all?

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

There are aftermarket stocks but they require a bent bolt if I'm remember right. To answer your question about sporterizing it, no I have not sporterized any of my military firearms in any way. When it comes to military firearms I'm a purist meaning I don't like military firearms being altered in any way. I find stock military firearms much more attractive, appealing, historical, and ect than a sporterized version.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

+1, I feel the same way.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The same here.

These rifles are historical treasures. They will not be cheap forever either, any permanant modifications will ruin the future value.

Almost any Mosin Nagant you get your hands on fought through WWII, if not WWI, WWII and the Russian revolution. The Russians and Soviets were always short of rifles; very few of them spent the wars in warehouses.

Buy one, shoot it, study the history. There are collectors forums devoted to these rifles, check them out.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

While I like Milsurp, I'm not a big fan of manky, old, greasy, dinged

up wood stocks at all. Midway has many synthetic stocks.

Charcoal(synthetic color) makes an old military beater really

stand out, and you can get them starting around 75$ shipped.

There's about 20,000,000 Mosins floating around. So you're not

really "destroying history" if you personalize it and make

it your own. I particularly like the M44 Carbine. Many were

also made post war, so familiarize yourself with stamps and

markings before you buy.

Wikipedia and Gunbroker are your friend.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. jpattersonnh

You don't know a good surplus rifle! There were 10,000,000 K98k's made by the Nazi's, they were used and bubba abused for years. Not a nice condition matching example brings over $650.00 Minimum. I bought my 1st vet bring back K98k, all matching 1942 BYF for $125.00. That rifle is worth $750.00 now. You keep on hacking them, I'll keep making $$$.

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

That's great, and our diversity is what makes America America.

I'm not as much of a collector, expert, and seller, as a shooter,

so I share a different viewpoint. I've never sold a gun, and

I don't intend to buy any I won't keep.

I must admit, if you're going to make it your own, be sure

to keep it. We all see far too many Bubba'ed Milsurp at the pawn shops.

Bear in mind, nobody else is going to want a rifle without original

parts, especially the stock...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Nothing beats a wood and steal firearm, and yes that means the polymer wonders too :eek:. If the old warhorses could talk I would have countless hours of enjoyment listening to their history and what part they played.

A while back someone offered me $700 for my Arisaka Type 38 (I think that's what it is not sure exactly), and he wanted to cut down the barrel, put a bipod on it, and all that, and I said no in a heartbeat. I may not shoot it at all due to hard ammo to find, but it deserves better than being cut down and modified. In addition it was my grandfather's, who was a navy seal that was stationed in Japan after WWII.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah,guys,

we're talking milsurp here.

Sure, there are exceptions. And I'm

not in the least implying you should destroy

the history for any rifle you hold dear.

Obviously, we all know that "sporterizing" a

gun generally brings it's dollar value roughly

within the range of dog poop. But one of the

really fun things about milsurp is there is so much of it,

and a mod which an individual prefers, which they are happy

with, is going to bring a more meaningful range experience.

I know it has for me.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion is based on looks. military firearms that are adapted to civilian use by "sporterizing" are far far uglier than the original unmessed with look stock dings and all.

a civilian rifle designed to be pretty has a look all its own and cant be copied by hastily modding and chopping a military implement.

for example you cant duplicate the looks of a classic winchester model 70 pre '64 by taking an old german mauser hacking the end of barrel off sticking a civvy stock on it, then doing a bluing job in the basement.

like wise you cant take a civvy weapon add on military rails and stocks and have it look good in a tactical way.

both types just come out looking like a child got done banging away at it with hammers....

if you like that look go for it its your money and rifle. i just personally think sporterizing or militarizing looks stupid.

11. jpattersonnh

He was a frog man. There were no Seals till after Vietnam. My Uncle William Lemkin was a Frog Man and set the explosives on Omaha. He spent 2 days in the water before the invasion. The landing craft missed the true beach by 1.5 miles, according to my uncle.

12. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Huh, I'm gonna have to ask him again what he was. I could've sworn he was a Seal, but I'll have to ask him now :eek:.

13. Chainfire

I guess I just don't get it. Your buy an obsolete, surplus military rifle and try to make what out of it with the changes?

It doesn't shoot any better and a Mosin ain't gonna win any beauty contests now matter how you dress it up.

To me it seems like painting on a boxcar; sure you personalize it, but I think it says more about the painter than the message he is trying to get across.

The up-side to "modernizing" is, the more rifles that are ruined, the more valuable mine will be later. Some of these guns have already gained in value from $50.00 just a few years ago to the mid three hundreds. Try making that kind of money in the stock market.

14. Dropy

Dropy New Member

So ok, this can of worms has run its course....

DOnt think i asked for opinions on wether or not TO sporty it... But thanx for your input anyways.

I wanna buy 3 rifles. 1 i will for sure keep original, but cleaned up. The other 2 i will do as i damn well please because they are MINE, bought with MY money, and i will use MY time to do it. Not trying to be pissy here, but i know i am coming acroos as such. My apologies if this offends. Not meant to.

I too appreciate some of the older weapons of war. But my pocket book doesnt. And a rifle that weighs less and is shorter by 6 inches is what i need for a friend of mine and my fiancee. So the mosin is a great weapon that would suit this purpose wonderfully. But it needs some work first.

Thanx to all.

15. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I asked him and found out that he was a Navy Seebee. My mistake for saying he was a Seal :eek:.

16. Chainfire

Buy a Mosin Nagant M-38, the Russians already did the work for you.

17. Dropy

Dropy New Member

M38, will look into that. How much are they usually?

18. bamaga

bamaga New Member

good luck with that, I have looked for several months and can't find one . googled/yahooed and any other oo'ed with no luck except in a pawn shop that was pretty beat and it was $399. heck, the airsoft version is going for $600.00(Zeta Labs MkIII Mosin Nagant FULL LENGTH Airsoft Rifle IN STOCK - Airsoft BB Guns, Two tone / 2 tone BB Guns, Airsoft Shop) finally settled on two 91/30's. for $200. waiting on UPS to deliver them to my local FFL dealer. Going to test both and keep the best and sell the other.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'm sorry, my Garand stock was downright scuzzy.

Did I offend you guys by installing a crisp,clean,

dry, perfect synthetic stock which doesn't make my

skin crawl? Well, perdon moi.

I'm not a collector who counts the value of a rifle by how

much somebody else is willing to pay for it,

but by how much I enjoy shooting it.

And if your guns are worth more as a result,

hey, I like you guys, that's great.But I'm not

competing with you over gun value, anyway.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  20. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You didn't offend me. I can understand tailoring a firearm to your preferences and to make it your own, but I don't necessarily agree with doing it to a military firearm. I can tolerate it just fine, but if someone wanted to do that to my personal firearm or suggested I do I would tell them that I much prefer it stock. It's fine with me that you enjoy a firearm tailored to you, and I enjoy a firearm stock especially military firearms.

Lets say I want a more customized 1911, well I'm not going to customize my current one I'll just go buy something like a Colt Gold Cup or something like that. It's just the way I am ;).