Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine pronounces it MO...sin NA....gent ( with g like in george) accent on the first syllables

i pronounce it mo...SIN na...GANT (with g like in golf) accent on the second syllables

what is it?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I've always said Mo-zin Nuh-Ghan. I have heard from Rusky sources that the 't' on the end is silent.

I once knew a guy that pronounced it 'Mah-zee Guh-not.':rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
I always thought it was, Винтовка Мосина, but that`s just me......................LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
12,063 Posts
I've always said Mo-zin Nuh-Ghan. I have heard from Rusky sources that the 't' on the end is silent.

I once knew a guy that pronounced it 'Mah-zee Guh-not.':rolleyes:
I asked a Russian native how to pronounce Mosin-Nagant and she answered very much like you have typed. I think you have nailed it!:D

·
Banned
10,243 Posts
I pronounce it MO...sin Na...Gant (with a southern accent thrown in. :D

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
a friend of mine pronounces it MO...sin NA....gent ( with g like in george) accent on the first syllables

i pronounce it mo...SIN na...GANT (with g like in golf) accent on the second syllables

what is it?
It's a bolt-action, internal magazine-fed, military rifle invented under the government commission by Russian and Belgian inventors, and used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations, ya'll. :p

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
It's a bolt-action, internal magazine-fed, military rifle invented under the government commission by Russian and Belgian inventors, and used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations. :p
You forgot the ya'll ;)

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
It's MO-seen Nah-GON, the T is definitely silent.
I saw the same description on 7.62.net, I'd link it up but I don't feel like it! :D

If you say it out loud, it sounds like a French accent but I'll be dipped if I'm gonna walk around talkin' like some cheese eatin' surrender monkey so me says MO-ZIN...then I go and ice my shoulder down...;)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I pronounce it moi-ZIN NUH-gant and I know that it's wrong.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
It's a bolt-action, internal magazine-fed, military rifle invented under the government commission by Russian and Belgian inventors, and used by the armed forces of the Russian Empire, the Soviet Union and various other nations, ya'll. :p
There ya go :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
For some reason, now that I actually own one, it is starting to bug me hearing other shooters butcher the pronunciation of the name, especially when Americans say it, "Mozin (like a Texan abbreviating one who moseys down to the bar) Nagahhnt (Ah pronounced like the a in "ancillary", hard T).

If we can all say Winchester, Smith & Wesson and especially Arisaka correctly, we owe it to our Russian Battle Rifles to at least give them the respect of not butchering the name. Now trying to figure out how to pronounce "Izhevsk correctly", I'll give us that, very challenging.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Now trying to figure out how to pronounce "Izhevsk correctly", I'll give us that, very challenging.
I think it's IZH-yevsk, with the ZH sounding like the s measure

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I say 'eaz-vesk'... It's also pronounced 'sigh-guh' not 'say-guh' but I rarely say it correctly.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I pronounce it Dunhams Special.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
It's MO-seen Nah-GON, the T is definitely silent.
I didn't know how to pronounce it, either, until my

interest picked up, after having one of my best

days ever with it, at the range.

Now, I probably know more about these

rifles than the average Russian...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I say 'eaz-vesk'... It's also pronounced 'sigh-guh' not 'say-guh' but I rarely say it correctly.
i've been saying it like sigh-guh for a while now. and my friends thought I was crazy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is properly referred to as "Finnish M28", hard to butcher but not as well referenced outside of the 7.62x54R circles.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts