Mosin Nagant Model 1891/30 - Home defence?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Scare_Rab, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

+ column- if that is what you have/ can afford, it is better than a Louisville Slugger. If used with the bayonet, could be intimidating as all get out.

- column WAY too much penetration (shoots thru bldgs and small armored vehicles), speed of a second shot faster than a muzzleloader, too long to handle well in close quarters

3. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Overly long & cumbersome...

In tight quarters...But, on "black friday" you can get one for $89.00 @ Big 5
    today! The 7.62x54R cartridge has the same "killing power" as the win .308!
    But, I would opt for one of my handguns to dispatch a prowler or my
    Mossberg 500A that holds 8 shots of 2&3/4 shells loaded with #4 buckshot!
    :D

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

- side, Fire it indoors, you will both be deaf, and if it is a carbine, blind if fired in the dark. 91/30 won't be easy to use in close quarters, it is long. It would not be my 1st choice.

5. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

oops - Not "Home defense" - rather "end_of_Days"

Understand there are other weapons for defending the home: Remington 870, etc

I was meaning:

... "if'n it so happens that there be no longer any Central Authourity... Polis, etc ... for a period...

Then would a Mosin Nagant 1981/30 be a useful tool - for BIG varmints , ....making big bad things go away?

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Not sure, guess it would depend on the type of Home defense. If you mean by attackers coming over the ridge line towards your house, Sure. If you meant attackers in your house, Not so much. Unless you plan on using the Bayonet as they come at you.

Either way, if that is equal to $90 over here, good deal. No idea of exchange rate.

Everyone should have at least one Mosin, if not 2 or 3 or 10.:D

7. patret

patret New Member

It is my opinion a shotgun would be the best home defense firearm. I would use number 6 or 7/one half because I don`t like to shoot through walls.

8. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

just got a hex receiver 1933 mosin from big 5 today for 90 that sale runs till 5 o'clock i believe and maybe i was high from the gun pron but i swear the serial number was 71....I'll post pics when I get it back later today. maybe i was mistaken...

9. gatopardo

gatopardo New Member

Whatever

Whatever you shoot with that rifle is enough to thru a person, a deer and a wall, not the best choice IMO.
    $300 is a little too expensive too, $150 sounds more like it.

Ideologies left aside, take this from real facts about a real guerrilla fighter.

Che Guevara's choice between first aid kit and ammunition box: AMMUNITION BOX
    Che Guevara's weapon of choice for a close combat situation: A REVOLVER.
    Che guevara's chances to walk away unharmed from this kind of situation: PRICELESS.

The reason for the revolver being that it's easier to pick targets in different directions with one.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  10. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Depending on what...

You want to kill, a Mosin Nagant will "shoot the crap" out of nearly any land
    dwelling animal!!!:eek: (It may not blow a basketball sized exit wound) in a
    deer like I have seen with a 7mm Rem Mag)... But "just" how dead do you
    want your target to be?!:rolleyes:

11. wb_carpenter

wb_carpenter New Member

I think we all aim for the most effective caliber available and a 12gauge will do more damage than a mosin.

I may want the target dead but not the neighbor 500yds away.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If it's all you can get for home defense, then fine. Any firearm is better than none. However, a shotgun is optimum and a handgun is the next best thing. That Mosin will penetrate way beyond you will want it to.

However, if you really want to reach out and touch someone, the Mosin will do. Those new rifles are scarce. Re-arsenaled rifles are fairly common, but unissued not so much.

If you decide to buy one, get a hex receiver one. I don't know if it's really true, but the hex receivers are supposedly stronger than the round receiver models.

I don't know how that price translates to US dollars, but if it seems reasonable, go for it. It will be a great Zombie rifle.

13. hcso617

hcso617 New Member

I have a 1891/30. I looked at the web site you provided and noticed it was in New Zeland, I'm not sure how the money exchange is, but $300 seems like a lot when you can get one here for $79. I also find it hard to believe that they are unissued, I'm sure they are refurbished and then not issued. For home defense I would stick to a nice .357 magnum revolver, or a semi-auto 12 gauge. It would be easier for a spouse not familiar with handguns or shotguns to shoots these if the need arises. I keep my .45 for my duty gun, but keep a model 66 .357 and a Remington 1100 as my home defense.

14. CA357

Well then, this begs the question: Scare_Rab are you in NZ?

15. jpattersonnh

16. CA357

I knew the shop was, I was wondering why he was looking at a NZ gun dealer. There's no location posted in his profile.

17. jpattersonnh

Read between the lines! With the ugly mug Rugby avatar, it is a good bet!

18. AusLach

AusLach New Member

I was just about to say the same thing!! :D

19. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

NZ -= "yes" $300 IS the US dollar price :-(

Damn Yankees

Head p arxse ... whinging / moaning cannot see south of the Mason /dixon line

That be $399 NZ dollars and that be "CHEAP AS Bro!!!.

Check out the other prices on that site

and see how little is available

: really want to make your self chuckle at anothers' expense ?

See the ammo prices.

$48 fora box of 7.62

$44 for 25 "OO buck"

HO hum

C'mon the All Blacks (2011 World Cup)

Trivia Question - that SO few know the answer to :

Rugby was in the 1st two Olympic games?

name the ****ry that has TWO Olympic GOLD medals

OK enoiugh already - it be the "Unedod Estados!" (US of 'kin A) !

:)

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Intimidation means DICK in a SD scenario.

I can "kill" you the same with a rock.

As would be the same with most any gun. Ive witnessed a ND of a 5.56 AR16, 16" with a nasty compensator(equivalent to Miculeks) in a 9'x11' room. I can tell you, Its the same as a 9mm. Your hearing goes to **** fast.

brownie points to the shoesalesman(avatar). Only good points as of yet.

EPIC FAIL. That shot column will easily penetrate sheetrock and fiber insulation, regardless of it being hi brass #4, or low brass skeet load.

Go, just go. More physical damage, yes, DEADER, maybe not.

A .22 with AIM will do more damage than a !2ga, with "shotguns dont need aimed" mentality.

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?