Mosin Nagant Milling Marks

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by soldiereternally, May 29, 2013.

1. soldiereternally

soldiereternally New Member

Milling marks, as we all know, are very common on war-production mosin nagants. My personal rifle is a 1943 Izzy M91/30, and it fires perfectly, perfect condition. That is, except for the hideous mill marks on the receiver. I know these don't affect function, but they are ugly. Is there any way to repair them?:confused:

(any help would be greatly appreciated)

Attached Files:

• 033.jpg
      033.jpg
      File size:
      25.6 KB
      Views:
    • 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
  2. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

It just adds character.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I would not alter them in the least.

This rifle was made as the Nazi

jackboot was descending. It's a

silent testament to the desperate

time when it was made, and a source

of pride to a valiant people, who stood

up when the chips were down.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The others have already told you why you may not want to do it, from ahistorical perspective.

You could stone the action smooth with polishing stones. But the time or cost if you paid someone to do it would be more expensive than finding a pre-war or early war example. That also opens the possibility of getting past the heat treated portion if the metal as well. Then refinishing the metal to protect it.

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I agree. It adds character. It shows the perserverance of the Russians, with shells flying overhead they still were manufacturing guns. Sometimes running them an armful at a time to the front lines. Character only a WWII vet can show!

6. soldiereternally

Well i have a excellent prewar model wanting to turn this into a cheap tactical rifle (already bought the Archangel stock)

7. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

As someone that has done what you are asking about, don't do it unless you have the proper skills, patience and a lot of time to dedicate to it. It was a winter project on a poor example of a Mosin for me. I have an ATI stock that I got for free and I did all the work my self.

8. soldiereternally

I have plenty of time. All I need is an answer: can these be repaired? If so, then how do I go about it?

9. SSGN_Doc

Polishing stones from Brownells. It will take a lot of elbow grease and time. Then you get to refinish it. If you are going tactical, then you could also look into having the whole exterior sand blasted, then have a baked on coating applied. There are some that will also help cover small blemishes.

10. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

I used files on the bad ones, mostly jewlers files. Lots of time. I worked on it for a few months. Took off the rear sight and filed and filled in. Took a few inches off the barrel. Filed out the milling marks in the barrel. Oh heck, here's a pic.

ForumRunner_20130603_201115.jpg

11. soldiereternally

The particular milling mark i am concerned about is this one. Can the depression be filled?

Attached Files:

12. soldiereternally

13. SSGN_Doc

Not really without welding.

You should really look into getting a different Mosin that you can hand pick. I'd take it as a project for a truck/ boat/ ATV/ beater rifle that I wouldn't care about dinging up. I'd probably duracoat the whole thing and not worry about the finish either.

14. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

You could fill that mark pretty easily with a welder but it will affect the temper of the metal. Tempering it again may cause warping without proper equipment. Mine turned into a "labor of love".

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yanno, OP, don't take offense, but

if you filed and sanded your

perspective a little, you'd avoid

doing permanent damage to this

really nice rifle...

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These are products of a communist nation ruled by a dictator. Stalin was a friend and supporter of Hitler. Hitler turned on the Russian commies and our left leaning president FDR protected the Reds.
    After the war the Russian Reds turned on America. Trusting Russians and expecting quality in their firearms are both major mistake.:(

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Rah-heally? Got an SKS?

Perhaps we should wonder why the Russians would

be inclined to trust us after what President Wilson did to

them during the White Revolution OOOH, your history

teachers conveniently forgot to mention that one, huh?:cool:

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

Where'd that sexy bolt come from?

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

History teacher? No need I am not a pawn of Communist propaganda. If you choose to blame America for mass murders committed by the Communist too bad.
    I was around during the last conflict with the "Reds". Many of us have seen too damn many Russian SKS and old Nagants. They were supplied by those kind Russians to kill thousands of young Americans.:(

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Who really gives a ****? It's a rifle that shoots, and the OP would like to see a pretty blatant milling mark fixed. Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone have any direction to give on where to find help?