mosin nagant markings

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Dec 14, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Hello everyone I've been all over the internet searching for the markings on my mosin I went to 762x54r.net and tried finding more information but still couldn't find anything I have a 1930 izhevsk 91/30 there are several markings I can't find anywhere here they are!

ForumRunner_20131214_175622.jpg

ForumRunner_20131214_175602.jpg

2. hq357

hq357 New Member

I'm not sure what the computer looking square is with a tail mean also there is like a russian star on the reciever all my numbers match so I don't know why it has the star

3. hq357

hq357 New Member

There's the star

ForumRunner_20131214_175916.jpg

ForumRunner_20131214_175916.jpg

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

This is on the right sid of the buttstock its crossed hammers and a diamond with either a 1 or arrow

ForumRunner_20131214_180014.jpg

Attached Files:

5. hq357

hq357 New Member

This t or cross is on the magazine and its also next to the izhevsk symbol on top of the reciever what does this mean?

Attached Files:

6. hq357

hq357 New Member

This is the last marking on my mosin its an upside down R on the wood underneath the sight. These are all the markings on my mosint I don't think its re arsenaled because it dosent have the square with a line through it anywhere. All the markings have been pictured. Hopefully some can hp me identify my rifle thx :)

Attached Files:

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

T is for Tula. The rifle has probably been refurbished.

8. unclebear

unclebear New Member

There are a lot of markings unkown with mosins my stock has a one marked on it and i have no clue what that is all about. With some markings i guess the only people that would know would be the people that assembled them.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The miscellaneous markings on mosins are usually location of manufacture of the individual part, proof markings, inspection markings and acceptance markings for various reasons.

If the bolt is shiny silver chrome its been rearsenaled. Yours has been rearsenaled and force matched as cai only imports those types. Force matching is fitting the parts then stamping the serials.

This isn't an issue with most mosins and only a factor with types like finnish which can affect value.

But overall the soviets aren't big on record keeping and the markings are for internal factory and armory use and even then merely as a means of sorting good inspected parts from unknown parts that haven't been fitted.

10. hq357

hq357 New Member

How can you tell if its re arsenaled? Will the,ones with all matching numbers be re arsenaled too??

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Anything which is pre-1930, and has a hooded scope, and the newer

barrel bands, was re-arsenaled in 1930(ah, "91/30"...). A true shame, as

an un-arsenaled 1891 is considerably more valuable. At that point,

bad stock parts were replaced, and the entire rifle was brought up to specs.

Great for the Russian MOD, not so hot for us collectors.

The Terry Lapin book will tell the serious collector everything that is

known, but many factory stamping's meanings were lost in the sands of

time, as JonM indicated.

Of particular value now, is an 1891 Dragoon of Czar Nicholas era, which hasn't

been re-arsenaled, and hasn't had the Empire Crest obliterated, as most

were, after the Great Revolution.

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I'm sorry to bring up such an old thread, but IIRC, a large star in a circle is the North Korean proof.... You would want to do some digging to make sure of that, but the circled star is the North Korean marking. I could be wrong though. It's weird because your Mosin was refurbished (the box) and a possible NK marking. It is known the Soviets gave the Norks Mosins, and there are pictures of Norks, even these days, parading with Mosins, yours could have possibly wiggled its way back into Soviet arsenals and imported.

13. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Who knows. With a Mosin anything is possible. Maybe NK, maybe a lookalike mark from an obscure armory. Why would NK send back its rifles to Russia that had no use for them, I can't imagine, but with those folks again who knows.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Kind of an interesting gun you have. It looks as if Izhevsk is the original manufacturer.

The box stamp is an indicator of a rifle that was refurbished by Ukraine.

The hammer on the Mag well is a Tula stamp, and I think the Star is Tula too. So possibly refurbed by Tula as well?? (a double refurb would be cool. Lots of history)

The diamond to my knowledge is still an unknowen marking.

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Wow, I didnt notice how old this thread is.

17. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It probably got it's Tula magazine because during refurbishment, all the parts were thrown into a vat and serviced, then cobbled back together. It's very common to get a mix master.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Well, the re-arsenal was done, to all the prior Mosin 1891s, during

While much of the Russian weapons program is still shrouded

in secrecy, it would stand to reason that a rifle built during the year

of the re-arsenaling would have all of the re-arsenal features, while

not actually being re-arsenaled, itself. Hence, no re-arsenal marking.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am not sure the OP writer is reading or even cares anymore.

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

Hello sorry i deleted the app since they chaged the mobile layout yes i still do care! This is great information thank you guys! My mosin was made in 1930 and does not have the square with the line through it im still confused i was thinking about putting an ati stock on it but i like the traditional wood :)