Mosin-Nagant M91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by murraywc, May 18, 2010.

1. murraywc

murraywc New Member

I see these rifles around fairly cheap, could someone give me some input on these. are the worth picking up if I can get them under $100?

2. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Great rifle for the money. I have a couple myself and enjoy them.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Worth much more than $100.00. Fun guns!

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Crude, ugly, heavy, not tacticool- and will still shoot accurately after having a building fall on it. Can be maintained by a Russian peasant that had never seen a light switch. Enough power to have an effective range measured in zip codes. One of the few rifles that an ocean of CHEAP Milsurp ammo is still available for- and this marvel of Commie Engineering is available for less than the price of a plastic stocked 22 rifle.

Of course you should not buy one. They get lonely like that. Buy 2.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Absolutely, I love them. You have to get them in pairs. :D

6. jpattersonnh

But they always reproduce on their own! Next thing you have a dozen...

7. c3shooter

Yes- but the babies are usually M38s and M44s.

8. jpattersonnh

Mine had Hex receivers and PU scopes! Odd genes!

9. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Very worth it.. Great fun to shoot. Tends to get the range-master's attention. "Who's got the boomer?"

You can find them with bores black as dirt, counter-bored, and dinged up to hell and back, and then take it to the range and put holes in paper at 100 yards with the iron sights. Milsurp ammo comes in the flavor of 23 cents/round (clean well after shooting, it is usually corrosive).

Part of the fun is also the cosmoline clean-up after you first pick it up! You'll learn how simple it is to take apart and put back together.

10. Wheelspin

Wheelspin New Member

I'll throw another related question out here if I may...

Hex or round receiver? is one easier to mount a scope to than the other? one more desirable from a collectors point of view?

11. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Most places will charge more for the hex receiver. It seems to be the more desired configuration by collectors, as it was largely phased out by 1935/1936. So they tend to be older. M44 variants (the shorter carbine version) are getting more and more rare now, and will be more expensive. Most people consider a Finnish Mosin Nagant to be the pinnacle due to the Finns having such high standards for manufacturing and accuracy.

As far as scopes go, unless you pick up a rifle that is already drilled and tapped for a scope (which stores will charge a lot for, around $400-$500), you will have to drill and tap it yourself. The receiver shape doesn't make it any easier or harder- the scope was side-mounted (like an AK-47 typically has to be done), so it doesn't rest on the receiver.

There were particular rifles marked for sniper use and then the holes were filled during arsenal refinishing, if you get one you can see the closed holes in the walls of the receiver. These rifles tend to be more accurate (stronger rifling, etc).

You can figure out all of this stuff based on the markings stamped into the wood and the metal on the gun. There are hundreds of markings, and only some of them have a known meaning.

This site has a great wealth of knowledge on those markings and the history of the Mosin Nagant: 7.62x54r.net

There are a few sites that you can buy from that will charge you $10 or so for a "hand pick", meaning instead of grabbing the first one on the rack they will hunt around a bit for a good one for you- something with strong rifling, good wood condition, etc.

I purchased a hex receiver 91/30 from impactguns.com and ended up with a very nice Tula made in 1936, with ex-sniper markings. My stock however had been replaced somewhere along the lines by the Ukranians (which I can tell due to having a Ukranian refurbishment stamp on the buttstock). Serial numbers all match except for the magazine floorplate (which must have been force-matched during refurb in Ukraine).

I could go on- but that's now what you came here for :). Just gives you an idea of the fun/history you can get for $100

12. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

cant...wait...for....C&R license...must...order...a dozen mosins...gah! So soon.

13. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Send me a few when you do, eh? :D

14. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

"I'll take a dozen Mosin Nagant's"

"That'll be 65 dollars, sir"

15. murraywc

murraywc New Member

Thanks for the input guys i bought a round reciever model from Wideners.com $89 the also have hex for $99. It appear to be brand new never issued came with sling, ammo pouch, oil can, cleaner, bayonet, and some other parts I've not quiet figgured out yet. The guy told me they had bought several cases and when the opened them they were in their original packing.

16. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Congratulations. You will love it. Cosmoline and all:D

17. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

after looking at them today and the price...I want one...

18. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Sounds pretty good. You'll have to clean her up and post some pictures of the markings for us to oggle!

19. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

I got mine at Dunhams on sale for $79.99 in November 2008. It came with an accessory pack including bayonet. I couldn’t pass up a military rifle for that price, and I didn’t know about the accessory pack. The rifle was made in 1943.
    I showed my neighbor the add and he went out the next day and got the last one they had.

Attached Files:

• Post.jpg
      Post.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
  20. c3shooter

For all of you that JUST got your first M-N, congratulations. No fair making .223 shooters whimper and hide under the benchrest. Targets closer than 25 yards should not be readily ignitable (muzzle blast, ya know)

Now go over to surplusrifle.com. look up your rifle, read some good articles (how to improve trigger pull w/ a beer can, "sticky bolt" syndrome, etc. Also hunt up the articles on de-cosmolining a milsurp.

Many of these APPEAR to be unissued, but have actually been back thru an arsenal rebuild, and then placed on storage. DO learn how to clean a rifle after shooting corrosive ammo if you do not know.

Clean the bayonet well after using as a skewer for shish-ka-bob. Enjoy!