Mosin-Nagant; Is This Saying Anything?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cottontop, Apr 25, 2013.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Last night I watched a show on the Military Channel about the top 10 battle rifles of all time. The Mosin wasn't even on the list. Doesn't that say something about inferiority of the Mosin? The 1903 Springfield was #8, and the M98 Mauser was #6. Surprisingly, the old British Lee-Enfield was #3.
    ct

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

While, IMO, the Mosin stands in a class by itself,

it's understandable that it doesn't rate well with

comparison to "the best". To be fair, while solid,

it's outstanding features were very common,

and it's safety was an epic failure which hasn't

been emulated since. It's heavy, unelegant,

and was specifically built for illiterate conscripts and

farmers. While it succeeded well in it's role, this hardly

makes it a weapon for a "best" list.

Many folks don't realize that the Mosin was

used on both sides of the battlefield,

during both world wars, when

thousands of Russian troops were killed and captured.

The German war department even assigned it a

proprietary model designation, for use in lower priority

guard and training situations.

There were many milsurps which were far worse.

The Italian Carcano, for instance.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Then too many people are making it something that it is not, based on it's current popularity; or is the extremely low price the reason for it's popularity? I have seen them going up in price in recent weeks. My LGS has 3 of them for $400 each. Logic would say that when the price goes up, as it surely will, then it's popularity will go down. However, I predict that the Mosin's popularity will remain the same or even increase in popularity no matter what the price as it's place in the market has already been established. But, I wouldn't have one if it was free.
    ct

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think a lot of it's popularity comes from the fact that so many were made, they use to sell them pretty cheap and the ammo was cheap.

there was one gun store where i lived that had a barrel of them. they ranged from $79 to $99.

they have reasonable power, decent accuracy, and they are a solid built rifle.

$400! persoanlly i'd like to have one, but there is no way i would give more than $150 for one.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

Like I said in the other thread, $400 each is a ripoff...

Some like the Mosin, some not so much...personal choice

Can't deny the 'cool factor', historical significance, big bad bang and sore shoulder...;)

Not a thing wrong with a good Mosin, all it'll do is shoot, shoot, shoot...then outlive you, your kids and grandkids...(if cared for properly)

Not many other large caliber rifle you can get, WITH 440 rounds of ammo, and a pile of goodies for under $250.

Don't like 'em? That's cool...more for me!! :D

6. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Regarding the Military Channel and it's ranking of rifles, these rankings are their arbitrary picks and really mean nothing. They are just entertaining and they have to have some substance for a show. These are opinions, nothing more. I remember one episode where they did a comparison of the Mosin to the, I believe, M98 Mauser. The Mauser won, but the Mosin was a close second, at least the way they presented it. So why was the Mosin not included this time? Who knows? It is comparable to The MLB Channel and their picks of "The All Time Nine Best Catchers in MLB History." My choice was Mickey Cochrane for the #1 spot, but he was somewhere in the middle of the list. Two differing opinions, both with credibility, yet no clear cut winners. The same holds true with rifle rankings. But, it is still fun to debate and no one can take your opinion from you, and you are free to own the rifle you want.
    ct

7. vincent

vincent New Member

You used to live in a gun store???

Damn Axxe, you're hard core!!!!:D

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i wish! i meant in the town where i live!:p

9. vincent

vincent New Member

Heh heh...:D I know buddy I'm just bustin' yer nuggets :p

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Now, if you were to compare battle rifles

by their influence on history, I would

wager the Mosin would be in the top 6 with

the Mauser,the Brown Bess, the Enfield,

the Garand, and the Arisaka.

Now, my Mosins are not only an important

part of my collection, but I also use the M44 carbines

to hunt wild boar. Don't underestimate these rifles as

collector's items, but also as very fun range shooters,

and very passable brush guns.

Before you pass final judgment, OP, try one at the range.

At first, I thought they wouldn't be that great, either...

PS-get a recoil pad, it softens recoil, but more importantly

extends LOP, for increased accuracy.;)

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I saw one at the used section of my LGS today picking up my new AR. It cost only 200 euros, but the wood was still gorgeous (it had light wood with darker wood swirls within). I did not have a camera though. Maybe next time if it is still there. There was even a bayonet that looked brand new. I almost took the gun home too, but I would need permission from German government since it is a "weapon of war". It took a long time for permission for my AR.

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The Mosin-Nagant is the rifle that beat the German Master-race in WWII, and the rifle that the Finns used to attain a kill rate of 40 to 1 fighting Russians. It deserves a bit of respect for that. I have several that are over 100 years old and are still reliable, functional accurate weapons. It is the longest serving military weapons system of recent times, starting in the 19th century, serving the entire 20th century, and still appears in fights in the 21st.

An M-28/30 or M-39 in the hands of an expert rifleman can hold its own against the '03, or the Mauser. One of the most sucessful snipers ever, used a Mosin-Nagant rifle to kill over 500 Russians in about 90 days, and without a telescopic sight.

Collectors in the '60s and '70s could buy '03s, Enfields, Mausers, Arisakas and the rest for under $50.00 and sometimes under $20.00 because they were considered cheap junk. Mosin-Nagant rifles seem to be following the same trend. In the five years I have been collecting most of my Mosin rifles have tripled in value. As soon as the Mosin supply dries up, and it will, the price will go through the roof.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

You guys are missing one small fact, There are Finn Mosin Nagants also. $400.00 for a m27 carbine or high priced M39.

14. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Yeah. The Mosin just flat sucks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lis-wV5ZjnU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lis-wV5ZjnU[/ame]

Okay, never mind. I was wrong.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Really? If you don't like something, be a man and just not get one. Instead, you are trying to tell people who do enjoy Mosins that their rifle is crap. Thats your OPINION. Starting a thread like this just to bash the Mosin is immature.

FYI,

Vasily Zaytsev-242 confirmed kills. The real number could be closer to 500 kills.

Lyudmila Pavlichenko-309 confirmed kills.

Simo Häyhä-705 confirmed kills. 505 of those were with a rifle aka the Mosin Nagant.

All used a Mosin Nagant.

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:...ct

17. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Mosinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The only reason that it has become popular is the cheap price of the weapon and ammo.
    I feel the same way that you do Cotton,You couldn't give me a truckload of them along with two truckloads of surplus ammo for them. I just have no love for the Mosin,nor many other military surplus weapons.
    The Mosin craze is the same as the SKS was several years ago,you could buy them all day long for $75-100 for a long time.

19. TheDesertFox

TheDesertFox New Member

Leave............

20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

TW,I guess I'll be immature,I can't stand those damn rifles!

I consider owning a Mosin to be about the same as Someone riding a moped or Doing a fat girl. It's all fine and dandy until your friends see you!