Mosin Nagant? I think I have one

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by liljdacres, Feb 6, 2009.

1. liljdacres

liljdacres New Member

I just got an old rifle, the only thing on it is the year, 1917.

After alittle research I think its a Mosin Nagant, the M38.

I dont know much about older guns like this, and this one doesnt look exactly the same as the ones Ive seen before. Any one help me identify it?

I tried to get a photo up here, but Im not sure how to compress it, maybe email?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Does it have cyrillic lettering on it?

Here's a link to MN arsenal marks. If it has these, you've got one. Could have been sporterized maybe that's why it doesn't look like the other ones you've seen. Could be a Finnish one too.

3. GarandGuy

GarandGuy New Member

It could be an M-1917 Enfield .30-06 too. Different caliber from a Mosin Nagant, which is 7.62x54Rmm. Not all Mosin's have Cyrillic markings.

Here is an awesome link to look it up: http://7.62x54r.net/

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, it is doubtful that you have a Model of 1938 made in 1917, unless there was a DeLorean with flux capacitor hanging around somewhere. Go over to surplusrifle.com- they have good illustrations of SEVERAL milsurp rifles.

5. GarandGuy

GarandGuy New Member

surplusrifles.com? HA! There are better places.

6. Dadoo

Dadoo New Member

Worth a 1,000 words

How about a picture of the mystery gun? Without them, it's like asking Stevie Wonder to describe the sunset :D

I have a M1917 Remington 30.06 (sometimes refered to as an American Enfield) and you would see the name Remington, Winchester, or Eddystone on top of the receiver along with a serial #. There would also be barrel markings and various other markings.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Model 1891 Nagant maybe? Does it have a hexagonal chamber/receiver?

Do you have a picture?

8. Spike420

Spike420 New Member

Does anyone know What model this is?

I bought this gun about a week ago and it needs front sights but I cant figure out which model it is because it doesnt have a front sling mount. If anyone could help me out that would be awesome, thanks much

Attached Files:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Spike- looks like the wood has been modified, and front dog-collar slot eliminated. And I can't see the muzzle of your rifle. Here is a link to some images of the more common M-Ns. Most common short versions aer the M38 and M44- but there are others. There is also a Moisin Nagant forum out there. Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 7.62 Carbines - HISTORY

10. Catfish

Catfish Member

If it is a model 1891 it could have been made in the country. Rem. and Win. made over 1,500,00 between 1915 and 1917. From what I can see in your picture it looks like a 38 or a 41, but I am no expert. I built a .410 slug gun on a 41 action, but here in Ohio they won`t let me load my own into sold brass cases, :( if they would it would be about the samething a the .405 Win. Teddy Roseavelt favorit round.

11. machelis

machelis New Member

7.62x54r.net could help answer a few questions.

12. LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil New Member

I happen to be restoring a Mosin Nagant m38 right now. Chances are if its a carbine its either an m38 or a m44,there's 101 sites to help you identify your rifle. Try:Mosin Nagant.net, I myself own two M38's and I find them to be fine little rifles.I scoped one of them with a Eurolux 4x21 and on a good day I can shoot 3" groupings at 150yds.

13. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

that rifle is missing more than the sight also looks like some one may have cut down the barralo too but we need more pic looks like someone tryed to convert a 91-30 into a m44 and when it dident work out they unloaded it on you sorry

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

04-29-2009? I don't think he's around to respond to your pic request.

15. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

16. osnixpero

osnixpero New Member

I have both first gen hex receivered and second gen round receivered mosin's. Mine are blessed as they havenot been fired save the factory test rounds. I have restored both and know them well. Post a picture, it's easy to do, go to your account tab, click it then edit picture. Glad to help you!

17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

It has a 31/90 rear sight. The older models have a stair step rear sight. The 31/90 was the first to have a smooth rear sight ramp. It's also missing the rear stock band and retainer, both are needed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  18. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

They did not hear you. Where is that failure to communicate guy???