Mosin-Nagant good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gbrew, Jun 4, 2013.

1. gbrew

gbrew New Member

I am new to the fire arm hobby. I currently have a Springfield 9mm xdm and looking for other fire arms to shoot. I found a Century Arms Chinese M53 7.62x54R Carbine Bolt Action Rifle at Fleet Farm for $130. I have read a couple of reviews/articles on it and thought it would be better to get more info on it such as. Is it a good rifle? Is the ammo hard to find? Is it worth it for a guy (me) that would put a box of rounds through it a month?

2. JWagner

JWagner New Member

The Chinese 53 is a variant of the Russian M44, so it is a well proven design. As for the guns you are looking at, ask to see 2 or 3 of them and choose the one in the best condition. For $130, you really cannot go wrong if the gun looks to be in good condition. Ammo is pretty affordable, so you could do a lot of shooting.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Bore condition seems to be one of the most important factors in how good they shoot.

Not a bad hobby shooter gun.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Many of the T53s are beat up.

Try to get a good one, with a solid

Bore & hopefully matching serial #s.

It's not too hard to get a Polish M44

from the 1950s in near mint to mint

shape for a little more, @180-230

or so.

IME, with good ammo, they are a great brush

gun.

6. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

Great gun for the money!! U can't go wrong with any mosin nagant rifle if its in good firing condition.

7. MikeSC1972

MikeSC1972 New Member

I have an M39 that was a Finn capture and refit gun. Originally built in 1926 and refitted in 1941. I love it for big bore target fun. Surplus ammo is cheap, but corrosive, so keep windex with ammonia handy to spray down the barrel after you finish shooting. Check the bore for rust and pitting. If the bore is good and the bold cycles, you should be good. Check the head space! Have fun!

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It all depends on what you want a rifle for. Mosin-Nagants are fun for plinking, good enough for hunting, but will never be a precision long-range gun. They are cheaper now than they will be in the future. The ammo is available and cheaper than just about any high-power rifle round.

If you buy the T-53, judge it by the bore. Almost all of the wood is going to be rather rough. The Chinese versions of these rifles are well made and tend to be good shooters. (if the bore is good)

I have bought about ten of them over the past three years and I like them all.

9. Jersey700PB

Jersey700PB New Member

Never heard the mosin referred to as a plinker . But agree its a fun, cheap gun to own and play with. It's an interesting concept to hunt with one, may have to take a poke.

10. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

They are great plinkers. I have three and love to shoot them all. One of them is a great hunting rifle that has taken deer.