mosin nagant for hunting?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

would it be suitable for mule deer up to say elk or grizzly?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I wouldn't use surplus ammo, but new commercial manufacture soft points should take any game on the north American continent.

The ballistics are similar to that of the .30-06, and it's been used all around the world.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Muley, Elk, again be aware of your distance and bullet ability. Grizzly, depends on how bad he wants a meal. I'd want something heavier then the standard 203gr commercial offering. Don't think it is feasible. I'd want more horse power.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I would like to see some ballistic testing on bears, the bayonet too.

5. jpattersonnh

I'll lend you a rifle and give you ammo for Grizzly. I'll also film from a great distance!! Bear kabobs you say! I think the bayonet would get better penetration.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'll offer back up, someone foot the travel bill...

7. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

At first I was gonna use my Mosin for whitetail, but my M1917 Eddystone is much more accurate. Plus I don't know why people laugh at the idea for using a Mosin for hunting. The guy at the pawn shop started laughing and the owner of my new hunting club chuckled and told me good luck.

8. jpattersonnh

Whitetail don't quite have the bite a bear does.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

A Mosin-Nagant, in good condition, in the right hands, and with the right ammo can do anything a high end rifle can do, except impress the gun snobs.

Mosin-Nagants were used to hunt the most dangerous animals on the planet, and did a good enough job to win a world war. They weren't in service for over 80 years because they were the "cheap junk" the Remchester bunch would have you believe.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Again, with similar ballistics and bullet weights to the .30-06 (albeit with far fewer available options), there is no reason why a Mosin can't take any game at all on this continent, so long as you are within your accurate range.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_ballistics_table.htm

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Im not doubting the Mosin, but mine isn't the most accurate on the planet. It's decent with the bayonet on and aiming a bit low. But my Eddystone is more accurate.

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I'm not doubting the Mosin at all. But I prefer my Eddystone cause it's much more accurate than my Mosin, for my Mosin to be decently accurate I need my bayonet to be on and aim a bit low.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Use what you can make an accurate, humane kill shot with. If you can do it with a Mosin, and want to, go for it. If that's pretty much what describes your Eddystone....

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

What world war was won with a Nagant?:confused: The Communist shared in the spoils of WWII after seeing the Nazis were defeated, that war?:confused:

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Funny though how deer still manage to be harvested with black powder guns and archery equipment each year.

Yep I guess a Mosin just couldn't possibly work.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

There is no reason that a Nagant loaded with soft pointed ammo could not be used as a hunting rifle. The Russian Communst have very strict gun control laws. The professional Russian hunters who provide furs for the world market are only allowed the Mosin Nagant rifles. They have used them to take wolves for the past 100 years.:)

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Hell yes I do..................

18. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

You better check your history. The main part of WWII was between Germany and the Soviet Union. The Soviets were in the war before the US. 20 million of them died in the war. The largest battles, by far were fought in the USSR, between the Soviets and the Germans. The largest German troop formations were fighting the Soviets. By comparison, our, and our allies part in the war was a side-show.