Mosin Nagant at 500 yards!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Grizzdude, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

How's it going Firearmstalk! I made a little video showing what a bone stock Mosin Nagant can do at 500 yards.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRo4XGbZWyM"]500 Yards Mosin Nagant[/ame]

Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

That's pretty good. I can't hit anything at 500 yards with just iron sights.

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

That is some nice shooting.

4. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have tested my Mosin Nagant at 600 yards. Those 5 gallon buckets will never attack me again. Only in the past 5 years or so I started using a scope. I have seen to many people spend a bunch of money on a scope to have it fail when they see the buck they have been hunting for 3 years. Iron sights don't have these issues.

5. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Cant see the video, says an error occured during validation.

Ive got an M44 carbine and ive hit refrigirator doors at about 500 before.

6. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have two hex receivers that are very accurate at 300 yds, but no range in the immediate area that has anything beyond 300 yds.

Link did not work for me.

7. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

Sorry about the video guys! I put the link up again, it should work this time. Thanks for the comments!

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Hmmmm making me want to pick up one of those rifles!!!!
    Good job!

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

How is it hitting the target at 500 yards right when you pull the trigger? Not saying you're lying but shouldn't there be a delay

10. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I'd guess the camera is pretty close to the target.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

I betcha the camera was closer to the target than the shooter...:cool:

12. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Still doesn't make since to me! Even if the camera is close to the target you're still going to see an hear a delay

13. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Good shooting bro!!!

14. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

The camera is sitting about 25 yards in front of the target. Now if you listen closely, you will first hear the sonic crack of the bullet wizzing by, then listen closly and you will hear the pop from the rifle about .5 second after you first hear the bullet travel by. This time delay between sonic crack from bullet and pop from rifle indicates camera was roughly 500 yards from shooter.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear that bears make an EXCELLENT reactive target. If you duct tape them up first, you can reuse even the cubs several times.

16. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

The only time the bullet is quiet in flight is when the bullet is subsonic. The 7.62x54r round doesn't go subsonic until around 1500 yards give or take depending on atmospheric pressure. So what you hear is the supersonic crack of the bullet wizzing by.

17. Grizzdude

Grizzdude New Member

Personally I like coyote reactive targets, although some bears have been roaming my property last year like I didn't even live here. With 13 dogs here that I consider family I don't think I'm going to let these bears walk around my property like that anymore. They stayed away the first few years but are getting way to comfortable. I had one tower above me standing at least 10ft tall only 20 yards away and I'm armed with a damn .40 cal. That was a scary moment.

18. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Thanks for explaining it