Mosin Nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by glockaholic, Jun 5, 2012.

1. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

So I picked up my rifle few days ago and I love it. I'm going this weekend to fire it. First thing I did when I got home is striped it down including the bolt to get that nasty factory oil **** off. I'll post picks tonight. I wanted this thread to be for any this about your rifle good, bad. Customizations anything.

2. Capybara

Capybara New Member

Picked mine up yesterday, Big 5 had 'em for $99.00 a few weeks ago. 1942 Izhevsk, matching numbers, all accessories were included, Century even included a spare ammo pouch. Stock looks good, receiver looks good, barrel either dirty with cosmoline or really rusted, can't tell until I clean it. Lands and grooves look good, but there are just lots of little particles in the barrel. it is counterbored unfortunately but that's life with a limited amount of Mosins to choose from. Hard to tell, but at first glance, it looks as if the front sight could possibly be slightly canted.

Unfortunately on a work deadline this week, then leaving on a trip for a few weeks so it's just going to sit in my safe for a while but I will report back as soon as I get it cleaned up and shoot it.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm not much of one for customizing the Mosin as most would think of it. I have tinkered with one that I bought that ened up having a split stock.

The split was not visible untill I took it apart to clean it after my initial outing. It explained why it was shooting 10" groups at 100 yds. The action needs to be pretty solidly bedded in a bolt gun. So I used some two part epoxy and wedged the crack open and worked theepoxy into the crack. I then used brass screws to pull the crack togetherand hold it while the epoxy set. I cut the screws off and left them in the stock to reinforce it and prevent the split from growing. The screws were filed down flush with the wood. I also bedded the action and sanded out the barrel channel to take down several high spots that were coming into contact with the barrel. After this work groups were down to about 4-5 inches. I added some cork under the barrel near the last two inches of the barrel chanel to put some up pressure on the barrel. Groups now are in the 2-3" range with surplus ammo, and with Brown Bear match ammo and soft points I've managed a 1.65 inch group. Which is not bad for a 42 y/o with glasses and open sights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are fun and affoardable guns to tinker with. I've got a 1925 that I haven't touched as far as tinkering goes and it shoots as well as my split stock 1943 after the repairs and bedding. The '43 may get truely customized. I'm thinking about having it cut down to 20" having the front sight reattached and setting it up to still look like a 91/30 but longer than the M44 or M38. Maybe put a scout scope on it.

The 1925 will remain pure.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Unfortunately,

surplus ammo would also explain this less than laudable accuracy.

Some Prvi Partizan or S&B ammo will give much tighter groups,

if you have decent rifling.

5. SSGN_Doc

Tried S&B it was just about as accurate as the Brown Bear, My guess on the accuracy is about the bullet diameter. The Brown Bear bullets had a .312 diameter bullet, while the S&B was closer to .311. The rifling on my '43 was pretty rough, so I think the tighter bullets may have helped. The surplus bullets were .310.

6. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IDK why, but i seem to spend a disproportionate amount of

time enjoying my Mosins.

There are a couple good books out for the M/N, and a good website.

Do a thread search, and try 762x54R.net.

7. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Well I broke down my Nagant and unfortunately the middle is cracked!! I realized it when i was about to refinish the furniture. These rifles are notorious for this from what I've researched But I'm in the process of repairing it. It's a 1942 izhevsk.

8. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

Thanks for the website it's awesome.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

For the true Mosin "nut" there's a great book by Terry Lapin, IIRC,

and, of course, Col. Gebhardt's translation of the Russian MOD

M/N user's manual.

10. Capybara

Capybara New Member

You give me hope, I think I could do the same repair, I have not taken mine apart yet, but I think that this is quite common to have a cracked stock. How are you going to refinish it or are you going to refinish it?

11. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

I'm going to strip it, sand it down then finish it. I'm going to treat the wood to reinforce the strength.

12. SSGN_Doc

I will have to decide if I'm shortening the rifle first. If I do, I will shorten the stock up front as well and try to remount the hardware. I will probably just take it down and then use Tru-oil, and then steel wool it to a matte finish. Although I have considered wipe-on polyutethane for a more weather resistant finish, or even Duracoat.

But I like the way this shortened rifle looks, and retains many of the Mosin features while still being a handier package:
    [​IMG]

13. msup752

msup752 New Member

I bought a mosin a few weeks ago and haven't done much with it. I just noticed that the barrel and receiver has a lot of play in the stock. I would guess it slides at least an 1/8 of an inch. That can't be good for accuracy!
    I may have to put an aftermarket stock on it and save up for a hex receiver for a pure historic rifle in my collection.
    The one I have is a 1943 izzy

14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I believe that may be a M38. The M44 and T-53 Mosins are similar, but they have a bayonet that folds to the side. The T-53 is Chinese, and is generally the cheapest of the 3 at about $150

M38

[​IMG]

M44

[​IMG]

T-53

[​IMG]

15. SSGN_Doc

Nope that one has a 20" barrel that was cut and recrowned and the stock was cut to fit, barrel bands were rebent and the handguard removed. A ring type front sight base was added, and the rear of the stock was relieved under the bent bolt handle.

M38s and M44 are climbing in price and there are enough 91/30s with some bores that are roungh near the muzzle that this concept seemed pretty good.
    A little more barrel for better velocity and less muzzle blast than the M38 and M44. But still handier than the full length barrel.

16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Don't you start burning your fingers after about shot #5?

Mine start to get uncomfortable with a couple mags shot,

even with the handguard...

17. SSGN_Doc

That's not mine. I just used the photo for reference. I would try to mod the hand guard as well if I did a similar conversion. I just liked how they made it handier while still retaining some of the Mosin characteristics.

18. SubSniper91395

SubSniper91395 New Member

I will have to decide if I'm shortening the rifle first. If I do, I will shorten the stock up front as well and try to remount the hardware. I will probably just take it down and then use Tru-oil, and then steel wool it to a matte finish. Although I have considered wipe-on polyutethane for a more weather resistant finish, or even Duracoat.

But I like the way this shortened rifle looks, and retains many of the Mosin features while still being a handier package:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/34ec5qg.jpg

What's that scope???

19. SubSniper91395

SubSniper91395 New Member

http://i50.tinypic.com/34ec5qg.jpg

What's that scope???

20. glockaholic

glockaholic New Member

[​IMG]

Attached Files: