Mosin Nagant 91-30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by BelRockRebel, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

My lgs has aqquired Mosin Nagants 91/30 tbat have been stored in the Ukraine by the former soviet union. Good condition comes with military issue sling, cleaning rods, cleaning kits, ammo pouchess and spike bayonet.
    What would be a good price on one of these?

Sent by BelRockRebel on the DROID RAZR using FirearmsTalk

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

just from what I've seen most mosins go from $150 to $80 depending, I got mine for $100 and they had a pallet full for $100 a piece, right now the same shop has them for 80 something a piece. You can get a nice one if you get to pick it out I chose a round receiver over a hex just because it had better rifling.

3. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

Are they fun to shoot? Will the ammo break the bank? 7.62x54R, is it hard to find?

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Rebel, we have some very extensive threads on buying mosin nagants, I'll track then down and link them up when I get to the computer.
    100 is not the best price, but its well within the going range, I paid 160 for mine with a tin (440) of ammo.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

For comparison prices check out the classicarms.us website. They have some different grades; i think the cheapest was about $80. They have some surplus ammo for like $90 for the Mosin.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-42352/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-91-30-ex-sniper-53641/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-53022/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-nagant-two-fer-52359/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/7-62x54r-ammo-cheap-52368/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/7-62x54r-ammo-cheap-52368/ This is a really good one with a lot of info.

Also some good info here http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/91-30-a-49967/

Some help on getting that Mosin clean when you pick it up. Yes, I said WHEN not if.
    http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-clean-up-50737/

I'm sorry for all these links, but as you can see there is a TON of info out there on Mosin Nagant 91/30s, entirely too much to go into for a simple yes/no on whether you should get one or not.

They are fun to shoot, I think maybe because they're so cheap and the ammo is too, yet they're built like tanks.

Don't know for absolute sure, but I think it may be the cheapest surplus ammo on the market. You can find the ammo at almost any gun show, order it online or through the mail, and can sometimes find some in gun stores. You will likely not find any in the local Wal Mart or big name sporting goods stores, although some of their locations may carry some.

I'd stick to the surplus ammo for cost, but beware, it is corrosive and takes a little more cleaning to negate the ill effects, but I've also gotten my hands on some new manufacture ammo recently that was absolutely filthy, so it can swing either way.

By the way, I only posted a fraction of the info I found, just to give you an idea on how much info is floating around out there.
    I also recommend checking out www.7.62X54r.net

7. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Thank you Trip and BelRockRebel, I got the same email and was just checking myself on how to identify a decent quality 91-30.

8. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

"Don't know for absolute sure, but I think it may be the cheapest surplus ammo on the market. You can find the ammo at almost any gun show, order it online or through the mail, and can sometimes find some in gun stores. You will likely not find any in the local Wal Mart or big name sporting goods stores, although some of their locations may carry some."

BelRock I am sure you know however if you don't, since we live in the wonderful state of Illinois the bolded section isn't really an option. Since you have to have a FOID card to purchase ammunition it is very difficult if possible to order ammo online as they would have to verify your FOID card before you could legally purchase it. However, I always see 7.62x54 at the very place that is offering the sale on the mosin.

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Y'all can't order ammo? That sucks. Hey, there's always room in MS.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bell- yes. they are fun to shoot. DO understand this is a high powered rifle, and DOES have significant recoil- a .22 it ain't. Ammo is still dirt cheap for the military surplus. Right now, they are probably the best bargain 300 yard rifle on the market.

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You silly Mosin lovers!.... ;):p

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Got mine from AIM Surplus for $69.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Yeah there's a lot that sucks about Illinois. I am currently looking into any legal implication of purchasing ammunition and having it shipped to Wisconsin then picking it up from there as I have family in the Milwaukee area.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes, look into that very closely. It sounds like it should be no problem, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of a catch.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey Bel,

How ya doing?

They're almost like potato chips, you can't get just 1.

I love to shoot mine. Recoil pads are @8$ at many websites.

Ammo is @80$ for a sealed can of 440 rounds.

(always try to buy bulk)

IMHO, the guys will love this rifle.

16. BelRockRebel

BelRockRebel New Member

U guys are all awesome! Thank you so much for the info. I just recently found out that I have a passion for guns after not having shot them since I was a teen. I have only bought two guns ever and both in the past couple months. 1947 Rem 510 rifle...LOVE THAT GUN and a Beretta u22 neos. I go to the range every Fri. & practice, I do great with the 510, but I am still working on tightening up my clusters on the u22. That gun is frustrating me a little. Anyway, I am ready for something a little bigger. I really would like something to set up on a bench rest and try some longer distance target shooting. Was planning on getting a 20 or 12 ga. but the price of this gun caught my eye. I know recoil is relative, but I do fine with a 12 ga. so would I handle the Mosin ok? I also have 5 boys 6-15 .

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you can shoot a 12 gauge, you won't even flinch at the mosin. Just don't let that steel butt plate rest on your collar bone.

The mosin snipers were capable of 1k meter shots with a trained sniper on the trigger, but realistically you should be able to hit targets at 300 or so. Just don't expect a 1"group at 100 yards, many of them are pretty worn old war dogs, but you can realistically expect to get about 2-4" groups at 100 with practice.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Get a slipon recoil pad, you will be good.

10 million Russian peasants can't be wrong! :p

The 91/30 is the full length rifle (LOOOOOONG!) There is also an M38 and M44 carbine- same gun, shorter barrel. Muzzle flash with carbine is awe inspiring!

M44-fire.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm right at 6 feet tall, the rifle comes up high on my chest when the butts on the ground. With bayonet mounted it comes to the top of my ear, almost as tall as I am

20. 96740

96740 New Member

Got one at BIG 5 a year or so ago for about $100.00 Still haven't shot it yet.