Mosin Nagant 91/30 Range data *75 yards*

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by molonlabexx, Feb 21, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Date- A few weeks ago
    Range- 75 yards
    Conditions- indoor, room temperature
    Ammo- Sellier & Bellot 180 Grain #2940

Grouping was 5 rounds in a 2.5 Inch group. Threw the range targets away :( but it was a pretty good group. No scope, just plan sights brought down to default range of 300 meters (i think)

Not the longest distance but I am pretty satisfied. Close quarters combat ranges and home defense ranges.

More reports with Ruger 10/.22 LR coming soon!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Patterns are for shotguns. CQ, better have a bayonet attached. They are minute of man rifles. I would not like to be 400 yards in front of one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/09/ralph/ralph’s-guide-to-your-first-mosin-nagant-9130-pt-3/

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

My apologies. You are correct, patterns are shotgun terminology. They were sighted in to be fired with the bayonets on, the Russians did not want them to take the bayonets off the rifle. As far as the ammo correction goes, the box is hard to read but you are correct, spelled with an "S". Thanks for the input & corrections. Fixed both mistakes on original post!

4. jpattersonnh

If you read the article I posted, you will see there was no official way they were sighted in. It was up to the rifleman to figure out what target "hold" to use. I have found most shoot 6..8" high at 100 yards. 6 o'clock hold takes care of that. Everything changes again switching from light ball to heavy ball. The rifle was designed for heavy ball, but rarely saw any in its' lifetime.

5. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Removing the bayonet alters barrel harmonics

Sighted in was up to them but they were ordered to keep the bayonet on, as it was a standard for CQC

6. jpattersonnh

Sighting was done at the factory. Now if you have ever put a bayonet on a 91/30, they are a pita to get off. If you look at what was issued to the Soviet soldier, there was no frog or scabbard issued for the bayonet. Where else could you keep it? It was not for CQC, it was out of no other place to keep it. The Soviets came up w/ the PPsh after the Winter war with Finland. The Finn's armed w/ Soumi's devastated the Soviets in the dense forests. The Soviets got their second lesson from the German infantry and their sub guns in urban environments.

7. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I would have to disagree with the CQC statement. They were in fact ordered to keep them on, I guess partially because they did not have a sheath/scabbard. Stalingrad was a battle where they were ordered to not take them off. They charged the Germans street by street. Keep in mind, these guys were given a clip of ammo and another followed with the other clip. In all the chaos, I doubt the original 2 soldiers would meet up and trade off by who dies first. The bayonet was the last line of offense. In other battles, the bayonet would have not been useful for the purpose it was in Stalingrad. You can't kill people with a bayonet from 300 yards away, but in CQC you can, and that is what they did.

8. jpattersonnh

Not attempting to get into a pissing contest, but.... your off base.
    Read this..
    http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

and read the 1st article I posted.

Don't forget, it is 48.5" log and weighs 8.8lb without the bayonet. 66.5" with. That is 5.54 feet. Remember, they were not running at each other like the civil war. What you saw watching Enemy at the Gates was hollywood, not actual fact. If it was, why no bayonets on any of the 91/30's during the charge or later in the fountian???

9. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

My 91, with a scope, off a bench, with Winchester ammo, without a bayonet will shoot MOA. Usually 2 of 3 holes touching. Could never come close to that with Wolf or surplus. And I wouldn't doubt you could use the bayonet at 300 yards, you may need to use the gun to "poll vault" over to the enemy first, but I think it could be done.:D

10. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

With a bayonet as long as my leg, anything can be done.

11. Funnelrider

Funnelrider New Member

Mosin Nagant ammo

I have taken the advice of the very reliable sources on here and I purchased a Mosin-Nagant rifle 1943 arrow in the triangle version. I am extremely pleased with this purchase. I am going to buy as many as I can afford being limited on Soc. Sec. Disability income. I would like to know what any one would suggest I buy for ammo. I see that brass is better than steel but what is the difference or purpose for the different weights? 122 gr vs. 147 vs. 180. For long range shots what would be best? What is the reliable best distance as far as accuracy goes. Like, this rifle using a 147gr bullet is most accurate at 300-400 yards, info like that would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks, Funnelrider.

12. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

I shoot milsurp iin my MN's. I just plink w/ mine so no need for expensive ammo.

13. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

14. crwfab

crwfab New Member

try starting a thread on the sig over in the semi-auto handgun subforum.

Thanks
    JonM

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  15. jpattersonnh

There is no 122gr 7.62x54r, 7.62x39 yes. Spam can 147..150gr is fine, but they really shine w/ Yugo M30(J) heavy ball (180gr). 400 yards and less 147gr is minute of man. 180gr will do better, much better. If you want fun ammo, 147gr is fine. If you want serious accuracy, find some M30 or handload your own.

16. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I'm the same way but I still found mine, with the bayonet on, to be extremely accurate using the milsurp ammo. I was real happy with the performance of the gun and the ammo. It's just a bit more of a PITA to clean the gun after shooting.

17. jpattersonnh

How so, boiling water is cheap. I've been shooting corrosive ammo so long I have to stop boiling my wifes kettle when I shoot more modern ammo. I always fire up that tea kettle, then grab a beer.

18. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Do you break the gun down completely before you clean it?

19. jpattersonnh

All you do is take out the bolt, a little boiling water on the bolt face. Pure some down the barrel via the chamber. That is all you need to do. Then clean as usual. The boiling water dissolves corrosive salts and they are gone.