Mosin M39- all lined up

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Mercator, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I bought this rifle at a gun show. It came with a standard (probably mil-Surp) AK side monorail on the left side of the receiver. (All pics below, I still don't know how to insert them between paragraphs). It was for sale with a mil-surp Russian or Romanian AK scope, which I declined to buy - too worn out. The bolt handle was bent, in order to clear the scope, but retained the matching serial number.

I used a side mounted Pic rail scope base. It had to be cut to allow the bolt turn. Fortunately, enough rail was left to mount a modern scope. I went through several scopes and ammo combinations. Mosin shooters know that good factory 7.62x54R ammo is expensive, 75c a pop on a good day. It comes in several variations, most affordable being the Serbian PPU ranging from 150gr to 182gr.

Today I zeroed the simple 4x scope that I had a thread about. No factory markings. The board decided it was probably an older Tapco. It was a freebie from a local dealer, at Christmas time. Turns out, it did better than the 12x Leupold I had mounted previously. The results were so so because, as I realized, this Mosin had "too much scope" on it.

Today after a quick zeroing I shot a group of 3, best so far. Added one more shot. Then, I'll be honest, decided to quit that target, before a good photo-op is spoiled :)

Proceeded with shooting the iron sights. Those are also aftermarket, the dioptric Mojo sights. Double ghost ring.

The ammo was PPU 150 gr Soft Tip. (A hunting variety). Distance 100 yards. I also used an improvised cheek rest with the scope - a piece of pipe insulation.
    I don't know about you, but it's good enough for me!

Attached Files:

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      File size:
      46.2 KB
      Views:
    • m3.JPG
      m3.JPG
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • m1.JPG
      m1.JPG
      File size:
      14.9 KB
      Views:
    • m2.JPG
      m2.JPG
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Theres a lot to be said for iron sights on military rifles. In the Marines we qualled with iron sights on M14s at 500 yards. I think overall too much reliance is placed on scopes. IMO, if you have good iron sights that can be adjusted for windage and elevation, enjoy em.