Mosin Bayonet won't fit

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rocshaman, Jan 5, 2013.

1. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Just got all the cosmoline cleaned up and put the rifle back together. Cleaned up the bayonet and tried to put it on but it won't slide down far enough on the barrel and it's half stuck at that point and hard to get back off. I don't want to beat the dang thing on. Anyone know how to fix this problem?

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Emory board. Or if it is really bad, dremel. On the Bayonet that is.

3. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Is there anyway to spread it? maybe pound it down on the correct diameter pipe?

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

They are not designed to easily go on and off. A reasonable solution is to spread the wings open a bit. It may loosen up the fit but hopefully you wont be engaging in any hand-to-hand with it any time soon. :)

5. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Nah you're right there but I do want everything to work. After all I paid 119 bucks for it. ;)

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I took a hammer that had a round spike on the back of it, and use another hammer to beat that spike into the hole (slightly. Don't over do it). That spread the wings out a bit. I used sandpaper (100-150 to get it to fit, 320 to smooth it out) and a dowel after that to sand the inside of the hole. My bayonet fits snugly, but is easy enough to get off now.

This is the type of hammer I used. Only, the tip of the spike on mine was round.

[​IMG]

7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

My friends bayonet had this problem. First we put the bayonet in a vise and spread the slot open with a crowbar a little. That helped, but I think to get it to fit the rest of the way a dremel would be needed. We figured that if times come to where we need it we will just pound it on with a hammer.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Here is the proper tool for installing and removing the Mosin bayonet...recognize it...:p

You may need to use a bit of oil at first but it will loosen up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I've got that tool and that's definitely not it. The bayonet is just to tight on the barrel and is going to have to be tweaked a bit, one way or the other. I'm thinking spreading the flanges might do the trick but if that doesn't do it, then reaming it out a bit might. Thanks for the all the input.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Just as long as the bayonet fits in its sheath, that's the more important thing in the case of a complete Mosin stand of arms. Does yours?

11. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I sandpapered the heck out of the bayonet now it stays on snug but can come of with needing anything other that a bit of elbow grease.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I detect a note of sarcasm here...:rolleyes: Please post a pic of this sheath of which you speak.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I can't get to it at the moment... It's under the radiator of my Corvair.
    ;)

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Had the same problem with one of my 91/30's, but not the other...:confused:

One bayo went on and off snugly but easily, the other...notsomuch...

IIRC the bayo has a coat of cheap paint, I found that removing the paint from inside of the collar with a dremel worked okay...

Pretty sure the bayo's weren't designed to be taken on and off like we like to do so I'm sure that has something to do with it...

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

What he said ^
    Wrap Emory cloth around a dowel, twist and slide in and out of the bayonet until it fits. I promise it won't take much to get it to work.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It is not an unusual problem, and the above solutions work.

When these rifles were crated in the Soviet Union, they were packed with matching number bayonets. So far, on the rifles I have with matching serials, the bayonets fit fine. The American retailers did not see any value in matching the rifles with the bayonets when they were sold. The exception is a very few sellers who did take the effort and chaged about a $20.00 premium for the service. I figured that the premium would pay off in the future when few Mosin-Nagants with matching bayonets were unusual. (unless matched by bubba)

17. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I think I'll try that, I'm afraid a dremel might take off to much. I want it to fit snug but right now I'd have to use a hammer and a punch with the rifle in a vise to get it on there. I take it quite a few of these bayonets have this problem?

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, it's pretty common.

19. samnev

samnev New Member

IIRC the MN was never issue with a scabbard but was carried mounted on the rifle and the rifle was sighted in with the bayonet attached. It is very common for the refurbs to come with bayonets that are to tight to be mounted on the rifle. I have seen at least a half a dozen in my shooting circle with the same problem. I have one that came with a 1923 refurb serial numbered to the rifle and is to tight to mount on the rifle. I just turn it down ward and let it hang on the riffle barrel in the rifle rack.

20. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I just open it up a little with a tapered punch. No metal removed, I you go too much just close it back up in the vise. Very easy.