Mosin ammo recommendation.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KalashnikovBlood, Mar 1, 2012.

1. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

Hello ladies and gents I have a question. What ammunition would you recommend for a Mosin Nagant, I usually run Brown Bear through it. Don't get me wrong I like the Brown Bear. Thank you all take care

2. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Ammunitiontogo.com

Click rifle ammo, then select caliber.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

1980's M30 Yugo Heavy ball is the best. Hard to find now.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy by the case, the cheapest surplus I can find (shipped). I haven't been disapointed yet. Then again, I don't shoot well enough any more to be approaching the accuracy of the weapon, so the quality of the ammo is not that big a deal to me.

5. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I usually shoot brown bear match grade through mine but since someone bought all that up I'm shooting PPU 150 gr this weekend

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

7. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

My take on it is this: ordering from ammunitiontogo (ATG) is every bit as safe as ordering items on ebay or amazon. I have done business with them over ten times, and have never been dissapointed yet. If you look around it is hard to beat their price on the .54r (they stock both the surplus and newer non-corrosive rounds)
    Now if your uneasy of the concept of buying items that are related to firearms online, that is an issue you will need to workout with yourself.
    Personally, I enjoy their site and will only order my ammo with ATG when shopping online. Shipping is calculated by weight and delivered UPS.
    Check them out, then make your own decision.

8. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  9. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

The painted stuff sticks in the chamber IF your chamber is dirty!!(and most of them ARE!) Try to stick with brass cased when you can just to avoid hammering on your bolt handle if it sticks. It shoots fine, but, Is a pain to open the action afterwards. I had some SelliorBellot that had soft primers and i had the little donut-hole cutouts go inside the bolt!
    So take it completely apart and clean it well for excellent results. The MN is a really fun accurate shooter. It will eat any type ammo that is shootable but check your fired cases frequently when shooting OLDER MilSurp ammo. Just my advice. some Privi brass is reloadable. With a scope, these shoot straight. If it has a bayonet on it, then that was sighted in and meant to be shot with it open for the barrel harmonics. Close the Bayo and the POA changes. Have fun !