Mosin Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by darthjkf, Apr 30, 2013.

1. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

I have been hearing all over the Internet for it seems like years about how awesome the Mosin Nagant is. Is this rifle very accurate at all or is this just a hoax?

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Some are great. Some not.

3. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

How great are the good ones. Compare to let's say a model 700 Remington.

4. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

Also for anyone who owns one, what is the 100 yard grouping for a 91/30 and m44?

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The rear sight is marked 200 Arshins 0.71 yards or 154 yards. The lowest setting on a Russian Mosin. :) The Finns are marked in Meters.:)
    Russian rifles captured by the Finns are over struck and marked in Meters.;)
    Remember this when checking the accuracy settings.

6. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

I am trying to convince my father to get one but he is just not bought in. I need reasons for him.

7. PathfinderAFW

PathfinderAFW New Member

Best concrete block killer that exists this side of 1K. Accuracy isn't like a 700: remember it's a old darn gun. Mine was 1943 and was plenty accurate for practical uses, just don't try and haul it through the woods!

8. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

How about drilling the barrel or action for a scope? Are there kits for that?

9. cottontop

cottontop Guest

old gun?

Age has nothing to do with the accuracy of a rifle. I have an 1891 Argentine that will shoot 1 to 1 1/4" groups with my hand loads all day long. My Yugo M48 mauser will shoot MOA. My 1909 Argentine will shoot sub MOA, and my Husqvarna M96 Mauser in 8x57, made in the 1940's will shoot 1/2" groups consistantly. Mausers, which the Rem. 700 is a variant of, are made with more precision than the Mosin, and as a result are more inherently accurate. Most Mausers can be tweaked to shoot very accurately; Mosin's, not so much.
    ct

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Most Mosins will easily shoot minute of man out to 300 yards, since that's exactly what they were designed to do. Some that have a REALLY worn/bad bore may shoot worse. Some (specifically ex-snipers) will shoot much better. Some of the best snipers in history used Mosins, and the one with the highest number of confirmed kills used a Mosin.

11. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Ive never shot one of my mosin's for groups. I do know that some shoot better than others. I killed a huge doe with a M-44 Russian made at 200+ yards. Im of the opinion that if you spend plenty of time shooting and getting to know your rifle you can be proficient with it.

Mosin Nagant's come in many different levels of use. Some have been nearly shot out and some have hardly been shot at all. That has a bearing on how well it shoots when we get them. Shooter's skill and ammunition are important things to consider when you are trying to determine the accuracy of a mosin.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Compared to a Remington 700 they suck.

Different animals. The consistency of quality s nowhere near the same. The actions rigidity of design is not the same, smoothness of bolt, crispness of trigger, ease of mounting optics, choice of calibers, quality and consistency of ammo...

There are the cold hard facts. A Mosin was a decent battle tool for its day. Today it is a nice collector piece that is fun to shoot, not to expensive to buy or feed. But if you are looking for the equivalent to a modern bolt action sporting rifle, then they really are not fair to compare.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

It depends on what your using your bolt action for. If your wanting to shoot tight groups, then the Mosin is not for you. If you want a gun that is accurate enough to hunt with, then a decent Mosin won't have a problem unless you try to shoot a very long distance.

14. austin92

austin92 New Member

I shoot milk jugs at 200 yards with mine. Best gun for under 150$ IMO

15. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I get ~2" groups at 100yds with my Nugget. Not bad for a "re-arsenal" rifle made in 1934.
    [​IMG]

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I was basing my answer off his follow on post asking how a Mosin compares to a Remington 700.

The problem I see is that there is not the consistency. I had a Finn Mosin that would shoot close to 1" groups at 100 yds with some quality ( expensive) ammo. And I have had a couple other Mosins that carried from excellent condition with excellent bores to really rough bores that were capable if hunting sized groups of 4-8 inches out to 200 yds. But those took really careful shooting and trying lots of different ammo to find the best grouping potential.

For rifle to rifle consistency, the comparison to a Remington 700, Winchester model 70, Savage 110 really are unfair. I've shot multiple examples of each, and from rifle to rifle, they were far more likely to produce better accuracy.

The Finn Mosin was maybe 1 rifle out if ten was capable of close to 1" groups.

A group of 10 of the modern hunting rifles were all capable of 1" groups or less.
    Plus they operated smoother, had better triggers, were generally handier in size and weight, and had better safety designs.

What the Mosin has going for it is quantity, history and price right now. If Enfields and Mausers were as available at the same price, and ammo availability they would each be selling better than the Mosin Nagant.

17. therewolf

therewolf New Member

IME, the cold shot can be insanely accurate.

I've never been able to shoot tight groups,

but I'm only using iron sights.

The spam-can ammo is great for plinking,

but it's corrosive, and not very accurate. I

would say it depends on what you want for

accuracy. MOA, not generally, and I've got

3 Mosins with good bores.

You shoot better with better ammo, but that's

generally accurate, once again not MOA.

Bear in mind this rifle was designed so a

platoon or company could all shoot a massed

volley downrange, making the accuracy of a

single gun moot.

My best with decent ammo(as in, name brand,brass, boxer primed)

is all 5 shots on a 6" target at 50 yards, with iron sights.

18. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Some things to consider... as said before, off the self it's a crap shoot. Some will shoot good, some are wall hangers (and they ain't all that pretty). If you happen to get one that shoots good, you can make some improvements such as a receiver scope mount (best left to a gun smith to install) and a Timney trigger, also not easy to install and cost almost as much as the gun. When they cost about $69 it was worth the gamble. I have about $200 into mine (I did the work myself) and off the bench with good ammo at 100 yards, 2 out of 3 touching. Not the norm. With all that said, and Mosins crowding $175, I would not do it again. Now a person would have about $300 into it, still be taking the gamble, and that does not include any gunsmithing. Unless you are getting one as a collector I would think you could pick up a modern rifle in your choice of caliber that will outperform most Mosins for about the same price without the gamble.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

Best 5 shot group at 100 yards ive achieved with handloads at 100 yards with my mosin sniper is .6 inches. My m44 is lucky to hit paper at 100yards. My standard model 91/30 is a solid 1.5 to 2 inch gun with open sights.

Best reason to get one is cheap ammo, rugged reliability, power of a 30-06 in a sub 200$ rifle.

There are scope mounts that replace the rear sight but a extea long eye relief scope must be used. I wouldnt drill the reciever for a mount they dont lend well to that sort of bubbasmithing.

The 91/30 has been around over a century most are older than any 700 rem and will be around long after the 700 is no longer made.

Winchester white box 7.62x54r is excellent hunting ammo cheaper than 30-06 or 243 or 270.

You do kinda need to know what your looking at if your not getting one straight out of the ruskie cosmoline. Even then quality is a issue.

20. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I'm seeing Mosin Nagant M90/30 for sale for only $129.00. Why so low a price? :confused: