mosin 91/30 ex sniper

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Jstrong, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Looking to find one,checked all the local shops and still can't find one with the plugged and welded holes on the inside of the reciever.I figure my best bet would to find one at a gun show,any other ways to acquire one that I'm overlooking? I want to ultimately turn it into an original looking 91/30 sniper,enemy at the gates style,I know you can buy them off jgsales and other online gun dealers but most are just standard 91/30s that aren't actually ex snipers and I want to do it right the first time with an ex sniper on my own. Anybody done something similar? I'm NOT looking to sporterize one,I appreciate and love the original mosin sniper look.

Tips,advice and opinions?

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Also does anyone know where and what the ex sniper markings look like,right now the only way I've been able to identify an ex sniper is to look for the plugged holes on the inside of the reciever

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Finding the plugged holes is a sure sign.

Check out http://7.62x54r.net/ there is a ton of info on everything mosin.

4. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I just bought a sniper mosin from Mitchell's Mausers online. I have shot it once since I got it a couple months ago and I like it. Although after reading this I'm going to have to check for the plugged holes though.

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Have you tried asking J&G if they have one??:confused:

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I have thought about that,in the description for their 91/30 sniper reproductions it says rifle may or may not have ex sniper markings,seeing as there weren't a significant percentage of them originally made into snipers out of the 13 million made I take that as a "may not". But it is worth a shot to see if they can be bought into digging through their lots to find an actual ex-sniper,so I'm going to email them about it. Ideally I'd like to put my hands on the rifle before purchase because I've been told some ex snipers were re-arsenaled because they fell into disrepair and failed to hold up to sniper standards,after all the snipers were re-arsenaled theres no way to tell the difference without checking it out and/or shooting it

7. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Awesome site,lots of great information.definitely bookmarking that one thanks

Btw my father,downsouth,said you live in the area trip.Don't know if y'all got a shooting trip in the works or what but I definitely don't want to get left behind if y'all do.

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

One thing about Sniper Reproductions, Not all are reproductions! The Soviets built and refurbished snipers into the 1960's. They were used by the Chinese and North Vietnamese. The Scope dimensions are the only way to tell if it is post war. Reproduction scopes are not the same dimensions. Post war original scopes and mounts are not serial #'ed to the rifle. Original Tula have a CH stamped on the receiver, Izhevsk do not. Izhevsk May have the scope serial number stamped on the leftside of the receiver. 1942 rifles often do not as they were cranking them out. Mine is a 1942, with a 1950's early '60's base and mount that have the correct stamps. The scope was made at the Progress plant, also correct. The rifle has no additional stamps. The scope covers through the mount was adopted in the 1950's.

[​IMG]

9. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I reckon an original sniper would be a bit out of my reach financially,I'm only 20 but do have a good full-time job which I'm very grateful to have in these increasingly trying times. That is a beautiful rifle you have there,awesome piece of history. Howd you get your hands on that one if you don't mind me asking?

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

They opened up a range in como, been wanting someone to check it out with me. Maybe sometime between Christmas and new year's?

11. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Is it an outdoor range? I've got about a half dozen AK mags I've been just waiting to empty,I don't like having all of my mags full which they currently are so I've been looking for a place to empty a few. The last few times I've shot the ak I'ts been at the range at Natchez trace state park since the local ranges don't allow x39. Im free on weekends for the most part,message my dad about it and see if y'all can't get something set up I'd definitely tag along and bring my toys

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

The Fore stock is pretty worn. Bought it from the Importer. Not an original WWII PU, it a post war. Decreases value big time. Fun Shooter.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I know nothing about it, except for an approximate location. Will keep y'all posted.

14. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Alrighty cool deal

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Most, but not all, of the Mosin Nagant snipers on the market today are guns cobbled together for the American Market. The are nothing less than fakes; sometimes the seller will tell you they are fake, sometimes they don't. They start with a random gun pulled out of the pile, add a cheaply made look-alike Scope, a newly made reproduction mount and a new turned down bolt and sell it for a "sniper". The cobbled together rifles may not be accurate enough to hit the broad side of a barn.

The real snipers (available at Rguns and a couple of other sources) were built by the Soviet Union on rifles specially selected for being accurate, buit with period made scopes and bolts; they are "real" Mosin Nagant sniper rifles, and worth the extra money.

16. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I am aware of the mass amount of reproductions being fake,based on standard 91/30s and lessr quality repro scopes.But that's the first place I've seen original mosin snipers,$800 isn't as bad as I thought it would be.I agree they would be worth the extra money but if I saved that much for a WW2 sniper then I'd almost be into the price range for 1903 Springfield,and that decision would be a whole nother dilemma lol

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

rguns is a good source for the real deal. they also sell ex snipers from time to time.

ive got a real sniper that was refurbed then put into storage in 1964 and later sold as surplus. mine was still filled with 50 year old cosmoline.

refurbs that were done by the soviets are the same price as the non refurbs.

check my post here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-sniper-42492/

and here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-pu-sniper-manual-46485/

for a little more info involving these guns

rguns currently has exsnipers in stock for 99$ each

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  18. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I've attached a couple of almost decent pictures. I don't know much about the Mosins, but are these the plugged holes that make it a sniper?

Attached Files:

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yes. That's them.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sure us some receiver markings please.