Mosin #4... *sigh*

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JonM, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

i had 45 minutes to blow after lunch while waiting for a bank official at my bank to return from lunch so i made a big mistake by stopping at dunham's to check their c&r stock. they had a couple of hex receiver mosin 91/30 ive been wanting a hex mosin and ended up getting a 1932 ishvek. so im up to 4 now.

imported by ati it came with most of the goodies including a bayonet.

mosins are evil and reproduce like mad. the other hex rifle had a slightly nicer stock but this one had some brass fittings and once shined up and the stock refinished will be a nicer gun. the bore was tighter at the muzzle a test bullet would go down very far at all so it may slug out small enough to use .308 bullets for reloads.

enough rambling here are the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vincent

vincent New Member

I do like those brass fittings...:cool:

Congrats Jon, see ya when you adopt #5!! :D

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, my #3, a 1925 Izzy, 45 inch stock, horrid thick red varnish job,

all serials are intact, rifling good, so I can only assume it was slated for

deep storage, and that's why they pasted it with such a varnish job.

It should be a 1891 Dragoon, but it's got the routered grips on the stock?

Naarrgh...

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

It's a good looking rifle, Jon. Congratulations.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Wait till you see it when im done with it!! ive got two coats of finish on the stock. Prolly going 3 or 4 more before im happy with it.

6. sjonca

sjonca New Member

I just purchased one of these, can't wait to pick it up. What sort of finish are you using on the stock, I think I will have to put a little work into mine as well.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Ahh I need a hex. That thing is beautiful man.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

glad ya asked!!

its cherry blossom from minwax

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the issue i had with it is the age of the wood. its so damn old and dried out it was hard to get it to take the stain well. i did break the front handguard band retainer putting it back together and had to dig one up off gunbroker. spare stock metal parts are dmn hard to find. even so i cant find some parts.

sling hole estuchions im going to have to make myself. once i get those made and the new retainers show up it will be ready.

the stock was not originally found on a 1938 model as its a post war surplus refurb stock so i had zero issues with doing it up in pink. what i am going to do is hunt down a nice pre war style and inish out very nicely with a redish or plum like finish

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Here you go...Mosin graveyard of parts...https://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-parts-accessories-mosin-nagant-rifle-parts-c-2_3.html

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Unfortunately they were my first stop. Theyve been sold out of estuchions for at leqst a week now.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Ah, it doesn't stop at a hex. I found my "all original" 1925 Izzy

Dragoon(an actual "1891", 5 years before the advent of the

"91/30) has a re-arsenalled (91/30) stock and barrel-bands.

Lots of fun to shoot, but the adventure is just beginning...

12. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah nagant bug is terrible. My buddy owns 4 of them from consecutive years and still considers buying one everytime he sees them. They are so addictive.

13. M1911VS44

M1911VS44 New Member

Surprising they still make those.

14. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What's the thing about the mosin besides the history. I have never paid much agitation to them but I've seen so much said about then I might be interested in picking one up. About all I know about them is they are relatively cheap.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks but that wa my second stop after buymilsurp :(

while they are cheap they work very well. they shoot just as good as any 500$ or less rifle you can buy today. that is with good quality ammo. the most common ammo is cheap but poor quality with widely varrying bullet weights and powder charges. while the cheap stuff is great for popping cans and range fun they really dont show they accuracy these cheap cost rifles are capable of.

for the price you cant beat em they just plain work and work damn well. if made today with modern materials they would likely be sub moa all day. but of course no one produces new ones today anywhere.

17. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well I thank every one would love a good shooting reliable gun and not pay much for it. If your like me which I'm sure 99.5 % of the people are or they wouldn't be on here you love guns just about all guns. So I thank one will fit right in with the rest of mine.

18. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Like I said all I know is they are cheap and now I won't one. So can anybody tell me what caliber and mag capacity they are.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i was a fence sitter for a while. finally got one, now ive got four of the damn things!! a pu sniper a m44 carbine and two 91/30's. its really the best deal going in firearms. they are cheap in price but are actually decent quality.

the 7.62x54r is no slouch ballistically either. its got the same power range as a 30-06 but it only really shines if your a reloader and load for it. most factory stuff is pretty anemic

20. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

What is the mag capacity