More M1 Garands at CMP

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by JWagner, Apr 2, 2013.

1. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I just got the new Garand Collectors Journal and there is a good article about CMP getting more M1's from Turkey. So far they have negotiated to get 8850 from the Turkish Navy. And they are now here. Oddly enough, one third of them (3,000) are IHC made. They will be working on getting M1's from other branches of the Turkish military. It is believed that there could be as many as 140,000 more stored away. There was no mention of what it cost them.

2. 1911love

1911love New Member

Now if they could only get more M1 Carbines life would be great.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Whats gonna be the deal with the IH ones? :)

4. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

Can someone explain the process of getting one of them to me? I am a member of a range affiliated with them but live in PA can I just drive out (to Ohio) and buy one or is there more to it?

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

CMP can mail it to you. They operate under a special Congressional charter so no FFL is required to have it shipped to your home. Go to their web site and order a rifle, you're done.

6. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

That's the easy part, the hard part is the $1,019.95 payment.:D. and the six weeks watching for the delivery truck each day.

7. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

I heard about that... I'm not a patient person haha. But I also heard its like rows and rows of M1s and you can pick one?

8. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

I heard about that, I'm a patient person but I heard you can go there "pick" a rifle and get surplus ammo for it and .30 carbine ammo. And who wants to wait 6 weeks I'd drive the 6 hours haha.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would like to go to the the South store and pick one up. I understand this is the best place to pick up your CMP. The motels even have special rates for CMP customers. Problem is it is over 2,000 miles east of me one way.:(

10. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

Yeah I'm 40 minutes from Philly, the north store isn't close but I have summers off and wouldn't mind the drive.

11. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Funny - I was just on the site a few hours ago trying to figure out whether to get a Garand or Carbine. I really want both...Not sure I can afford either right now.

12. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Where in ohio? and is the process different if you pick it up?

13. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Camp Perry.

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The North Store is in Ohio. Yes, you can pick up a rifle from stock available. The people will help you choose etc. Make sure you have all your paper work.:)

15. thum1995

thum1995 New Member

What paperwork?

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Do no details on the IH Garands...? I need to know how long I have to sell a kidney and compete in a Garand match...... :)

17. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

A buddy of mine drove to the CMP store in Anniston, Al. just so he could pick his own.

18. Orlando

Orlando New Member

The North Store is just as good as the South Store. Inventory will vary between both stores. Right now there isnt alot to choose from in either store from all the panic buying.

19. langenc

langenc New Member

Camp Perry is near Port Clinton (not slimy Bill), Ohio and Cedar Point. CP is a large amusement park. Port Clinton is Betwen Cleveland and Toledo, on the shores of Lake Erie.

Take the family, drop em off at Cedar Point and drive about 10 mi to Camp Perry for some shopping.