More info/Identifying/Dating - S&W .38

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Taco Supremo, May 19, 2009.

1. Taco Supremo

Taco Supremo New Member

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I came accross an old snub-nosed .38 Special recently and am trying to find out more about it. If anyone could tell me more, I would be very grateful.

The serial # is J518xxx. On the side of the barrel it reads "Airweight" and ".38 SPL. CTG." just below that. The metal parts have a glossy black finish. I have the original box with all of the bits of paper (warranty info, maintenance manual, etc) that came with it.

I'm trying to find a manufacture date and possible resale value (if any). Thanks for any help!

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

call smith and wesson I am sure they can tell you when it was made by the serial number.

as for price that depends on a lot of things. how well the cylinder locks up how is the bluing has it been modified in any way.

3. WDB

WDB New Member

I expect you have a Model 442 Centennial Airweight with a 1 7/8" barrel, it was manufactured between 1993 -1995. Depending on condition like new is $415, slightly worn (90%) is $255 based on the Blue book of gun values 2009. Keep in mind that is a general value and if in reasonable condition I would expect it to sell on the high end considering what firearm prices are doing. I hope this helps.

Take some time and visit the new member intro thread and introduce yourself, lots of good people here that can help you with questions you may have including the pros and cons of this pistol.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here.