More fuel to the fire.......

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Bob Wright, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

as to the supremacy of revolver vs. autoloader:

Caught the closing scenes of an old western movie yesterday. Gene Autry was chasing a stagecoach full of outlaws. The outlaws had Colt Government Model autoloaders (one of whom cocked his auto Single Action style prior to firing.) while Gene, of course, was "totin' his old forty-four."

Gene won, of course.

Bob Wright

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Why not have the best of both worlds.... and get a Mateba... :p

[​IMG]

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

What the....

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Gene's 44 was the number of shots before having to reload. What happened to that technology? D id the government ban it?:rolleyes:
    As far as cocking the 1911 for each shot, it probably had to be cycled too as the blanks then would not cycle.

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

That was Gene Autry. I love Gene as much as anyone. He always tried to set a good example even if it meant the story wouldn't be as good. We all know that no one can make the shots Gene made on TV.

If you have ever tried to shoot a can off the top of post while riding a running horse, you know how hard it would be to shoot someone off the top of a stage coach. Gene routinely made these shots at long range. He even shot people off the top of hill with his pistol, a shot that would have been difficult to make with a nice rifle.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Bob (and I say this with tongue in cheek),
    I concede that revolvers are better than semi-autos.

If it was shown on TV, it has to be true! ;)

(just kidding)

7. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

You know I kept watching for that and never did see any of them cycle the slide manually.

This was the station coach with no doors, and the "outlaws" did duck back inside after each shot, presumable to cycle the pistol.

Bob Wright

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I read somewhere many years ago that ol' Gene was a spoiled rich kid who wanted to be a movie star so he produced and directed his own movies. He was a drunk, and many times the crew had to tie his boots to his stirrups to keep him from falling off his horse. :D

9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

I don't buy that story. Gene was the son of an Oklahoma rancher, went to work in a telegraph office where he was discovered by cowboy star/comedian Will Rogers. An accomplished pilot, he served in WW II, but not as a colonel as he wanted to enlist as. And Gene hired a young singer to co-star in some of his movies, Leonard Slye, who became better known as Roy Rogers.

Bob Wright

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I stand corrected. Here is a Wikipedia article about him:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Autry

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I don't think tying your boots into stirrups would keep you from falling off your pony, only ensure you can't fall free from it when you do...

12. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Gene had one of those "Magic" revolvers that hold 40 or 50 rounds.

13. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow that is an ugly pistol.

14. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

If Gene were around today he'd be sportin a SIG :D

Will Rogers had some classic quotes;

About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation.
    -Will Rogers

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so.
    -Will Rogers

.....and my favorite...

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -Will Rogers

15. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Rest in Peace Gene.

How many have been to his Museum?

Sure worth a visit.

'Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came about because the U.S. was too strong.'

Ronald Reagan