More forgiving eye relief

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by dickpalmer, Jul 27, 2012.

1. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

I currently have a Leupold Vari XIII tactical 4.5-14X40 mounted on an AR10. The eye relief is really tight. Once you get your cheek rest, you still have to move in or out just slightly to see. I'm looking for opinions on scopes with more eye relief for faster target aquisition. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

On other optics which have more eye relief. The Leupolds have very little. They are more precision less quick aquisition,

3. Model70

Model70 New Member

Leupold usually has more generous eye relief. :confused:

Check out the Vortex Viper HS series.

4. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

I'd really like to find one with similar eye relief as my acogs. Super easy and quick.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Sightron SII Big Sky/SIII scopes and the Weaver Super Slam/Classic Extreme scopes have great eye relief. They also have great glass/clarity,hold zero,tracking,etc.

Most scopes will have smaller eye relief when you turn up the magnification,so if your comparing them to an ACOG,that might be hard to compare.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

yoru scopes eye relief taken from the website.... low 4.4 in. high 3.7. this is really good and will be hard to find others that compare. nikon pro staff is 3.6 in, bushnell elite is 3.9in. still less than your current.

7. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

Since you're concerned about faster target acquisition, I'd assume your scope will be set at the lowest magnification setting, i.e. 4.5X. Mount your scope in the position that gives the proper eye relief at that setting, and make any adjustment for the higher magnifications with your cheek weld, if necessary. If you are mounting the rifle the same every time, I would think you could find that sweet spot for the 4.5X every time.

8. dickpalmer

dickpalmer New Member

The civilian world needs to go digital.

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Check out the Pentax lightseeker

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Just my opinion, but 4.5-14 seems GROSSLY excessive on a .308.

I believe a 2x-7x would be more magnification than you'd ever need with a .308. and the lower powers will be much more forgiving, not only of eye relief, but of mirage as well. Just a thought.

I use a 1.5-6X42 Swarovski on my .30-06 hunting rifle, and I've never felt the need for more magnification, even hunting Pronghorn Antelope out here on the open spaces of Eastern Wyoming.

11. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so i suppose the 8x32 i have on my .223 is a bit much??

12. locutus

If it suits your needs, more power to ya! I'd use a 1x-4x, on a 1.5-6 on a .223

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Lol I like looking into the chucks eye before i shoot

14. locutus

I suppose I see things like scopes through more of a military/police filter, where speed of target acquisition is just as important as accuracy.:p

For a prairie dog hunting rig, I guess you'd want a lot of magnification.:D