More California Stupidity

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by pagj17, Sep 20, 2010.

1. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

For those of you unaware, California Has a law making any mag Over 10 Round's capacity Manufactured after 2004 but in actuality 1994, Illegal for non-LEO use...

Anyways so When i arrived at the range on Thursday, The range master was on the phone speaking to the leader of a prominent shooting club...
    After the call the Range Master explained to my father and I that the LEO that "supervises" their range informed him that if you want to use H/C mags, he doesn't have to prove they were made Post-ban. You have to prove they weren't.
    what type of CRAP is that?

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

California Gourmet Crap.:D

3. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

I believe the way it is suppose to work is that the prosecution MUST PROVE beyound a reasonable doubt.......you can take the fifth.

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Yup.
    I'm 20... but My dad got me the gift of 20 rounders when I was 4 because I was OBSESSED with the M16 and his Air Force Reserve unit was ditching them;)

5. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Oh and the worse-er part of this, it's a Federal LEO of somesort.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm sorry for your trouble. Please keep us in the loop on this.

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

CA357.... You're a Former Police Officer yes?
    Lucky man if so:) And thanks!

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Was he saying from a legal perspective that the law puts the burden on you, or was he saying they are not to be used at the range because it's impossible to tell and the range doesn't want the liability or bad press?

9. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

LEO was putting the Burden on the shooter.
    SUPPOSEDLY (this coming from 2 sources, a local PD officer and Cal Guns, but I don't know if it's fact) Possession of Hi Cap mags isn't a crime anyways, just use...
    So Papa's getting himself some pmags(jk)

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Neither possession nor use is a crime (unless the use of them creates an "Assault Weapon" under definition of the AWB). Print a copy of the entire law and keep it with you. If you are hassled show your copy and ask the LEO who is hassling you to show you the part where it prohibits your ownership or use. He/She will not be able to do so.

They are trying to intimidate you

11. slowgt

slowgt New Member

I find this stupid as hell! Like the 1st 10 rd want kill your butt, but the 11 one will stupid **** in my book!!

12. nwrednk

nwrednk New Member

Californication?

Im ashamed to admit that I was born there! But, I have enjoyed 20 of my 50
    years as an Idaho resident! (I also lived in Finland for several years)!:)

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

No, I wasn't. However, in my younger days I did get to ride in a Police car a few times. :p

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Would also point out that a FEDERAL LEO does NOT enforce STATE law.

15. ironsights

ironsights New Member

M14, you mean at the range in Calif., if we have a mag of over 10 rounds we must prove it is pre law, or we cannot use, is this for both pistol and rifle? Who's job is it to check the mag in our pistol on the firing line? Who makes up these stupid laws?

thanks for your help, be safe

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not at all. In CA full cap mags are fine to own and use, as long as they were in your possession prior to the ban. AND assuming that they are NOT being used in an OLL. The law even allows you to "re-build" old, damaged mags by replacing worn or broken components. The state must prove they were not owned prior to the ban. Even date stamped mag tubes have been used to rebuild dented mags.

Do yourself a favor and read the actual law. It is fairly easy to read. Then make your own decision. CRPA had great breakdown on it a couple of months ago as well. Maybe it is on their website.

Don't take my word for it, do your own investigation. You will be surprised how easy it is to understand.

17. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

C3Shooter, I believe He's responsible for making sure the range complies with all laws, state and Federal.
    m14Rocks... Well sir you rock too:) haha I'll look up the law and research it and print it out and maybe even prepare a speech on it as soon as I'm done with this stupid freaking homework:(
    nwrednk- Hopefully I'll be out of this state Next year. My parents and I are making a trip to Arizona this December, and when i go out there I'm going to get in contact with the Guard recruiters and Probably the Marine and Navy recruiters to talk about the reserves, while also applying everywhere for jobs haha.
    I Don't want to waste any more time in California then is Absolutely necessary.

18. ncpatriot

ncpatriot New Member

I know you guys in CA have had it rough. We heard by the forums about your troubles with the "Sheriff of Nottingham" in Orange County, rescinding CCW permits issued by former sheriff. Now you have to deal with this crap too.

I'm sure your state has some prison escapees & parole absconders, etc. that the authorities could be trying to catch. But you are the easy targets.

Hang in there and fight as you are able. Freedom lost is seldom regained.

19. AARguy

AARguy New Member

Wow. This conversation is exciting! Hi-cap mags are illegal... yes they are... no they're not. Possession is legal, use is not. Possession and use is legal unless it creates an "assault weapon". Wow. The College Entrance Calculus Achievement Test isn't this hard. And its not just us poor citizens that are confused. A local citizen here was arrested for having loaded mags in his car. He had no weapon, just loaded mags. Confused citizen? Confused cops? Confused law? You decide.

At least starting in February 2011 we will be protected by mandatory finger printing every time we buy pistol ammo. And we will also be protected by a ban on ammo sales through the mail. I haven't been so happy since a ban on removable mags on a weapon with a pistol grip was enacted!!

Ain't the People's Republic of California just GRAND??

20. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

m14srock FORGOT!

After he can't show you why he is hassling you light his car on fire and ask for proof where it is illegal to do so. Turn the lights and siren on first though, that would be beautiful!.....PLEASE CALL ME SO I CAN WATCH.